• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How do you deal with stress?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
School, especially this semester, is being very stressful right now. So many test/essays...sometimes I just lay in bed till 4am because all the things that keep running through my mind...only to have to wake up at 8/9am to get class. It's getting worse now. We're getting hammered with anatomy practicals/weekly 8-page essays/bio exams/chem exams/2 lab exams...oh mannnn. I think my coping mechanism is buying things. I think I do it to get my mind off of school. I'm bidding on two powermac g5's, won 1 black ipod video auction(bidding on another white one), bought a 500gb seagate m.XT drive, and a WD Black 500gb in case the XT is a dud. I lost an auction to a powermac DP 1.8 that was in AMAZING condition by only 5 dollars:Angry: Now I'm out for revenge:Evil: Was at a rave 2 days ago...time of my life! This semester needs to end(hopefully with B's or higher in all of my classes please) asap!

What do you do to cope with stress?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
A really good book to read is the power of now.
In short, it is basically it is all about learning techniques to live in the moment, without doing your head in about the past or the future.
It really is worth getting a copy.
Other than that, exercise before bed, be it gym, yoga, pilates, running, etc. is a really good way to release good endorphins in the brain, exhaust your thoughts and body so you can sleep pretty soon after your head hits the mattress.

That book is really worth a go though.
Here's a little story/review from a reader.
The Power of Now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It depends on your outlook on what exactly is stress.

We had a very famous sportsman in Australia who had been a fighter pilot in WW2. Commenting on TV at a sports match, he was asked about the stress modern day sportsmen and women have to go through.

'Stress? Stress? A Messerschmidt on your #$%@ (rear end) trying to blow your head off - that was stress!"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It depends on your outlook on what exactly is stress.

We had a very famous sportsman in Australia who had been a fighter pilot in WW2. Commenting on TV at a sports match, he was asked about the stress modern day sportsmen and women have to go through.

'Stress? Stress? A Messerschmidt on your #$%@ (rear end) trying to blow your head off - that was stress!"

It does put things into perspective a bit, doesn't it? ;)

I've been through a bit of a stressful time at work over the course of the last few weeks, and it's definitely effected my home life. But then I realized, that the worst thing that can possibly happen if things don't go well at work is that I'll be fired. I think just that little bit of perspective was enough to help me deal with things a little better.

Idrin: My wife gave me a bit of advice awhile ago and I think it helped me quite a bit. She said that a person can tolerate anything for a finite period of time. As long as there is a "light at the end of tunnel", it's just a matter of breaking the problem down into pieces and and working through it systematically.

Reaction score
My stress relief is a good..loooooooooonnnngg…bike ride.

A realllllllly loooooooonnnng bike ride= 2 hours for me. My mind focuses on the bike, the power my legs force upon the drive train (pedals, chain etc.), my heartbeat and the cool wind in my face. Ah. Stress=Finito.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nothing better to fight stress than a large amount of physical hard work... Like knocking down a tree, dig a hole, go for a long run.... Something that gets you totally exhausted.
Then take a nice hot bath.
Works for me every time.

Over the years I learned that the best way to handle stress is to avoid it ( if possible)

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hmm. I can't say I really suffer with it too often, life's too short and so I stay chilled, but there's nothing like a good workout on the drum kit to relieve any tension I'm feeling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I can understand the Aussie thing. A lot of people that come back from war do say civilian life has no stress compared to the war.

Personally though I write songs about the stressful situations. Gets it sll of my chest and I feel much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Privatization is key, especially with all you have going on at school.

My biggest piece of advice is to cut the things out of your schedule that you do not need to be doing, regardless of how much you think you want to do it.

Make a list of the things you have to do like school, work, etc. The rest is optional. Make some difficult choices on the things or activities you'll need to put down.

I was in the same position as you so I totally get it, but I know from personal experience that if you don't cut some activities out, no matter how much you like them, to get yourself some down time, you'll never get rid of the stress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
To quote Homer Simpson:

"To alcohol; The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Music.. I put lots of time into my music.. playing, recording.. whatever.. it's very stimulating/relaxing..

Oh, and beer helps ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
..sometimes I just lay in bed till 4am because all the things that keep running through my mind...only to have to wake up at 8/9am to get class.

Just for the sleeping part of it, I've found that getting up is the best way to get to sleep. While I'm up, I do something boring until I get drowsy, usually within a half hour or so. Then I get back in bed and go to sleep. Your body is tired already and needs rest. Just sit and stare at the wall. Leave the lights off. Don't watch TV. If I have things that need to get done on my mind, I make a list of them. Getting up for 30 minutes is way better than laying there for 6 hours!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
To quote Homer Simpson:

"To alcohol; The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!"
Quit trying so hard!

Because as Home Simpson also said, "Trying is the first step towards failure!"

hsDoh.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Some form of exercise that stimulates the senses in a good way like bicycling/walking through your neighborhood preferably by a park. Afterwards a nice hot shower and some
music you enjoy then a nice meal then I am down for the count.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
Other than that, exercise before bed, be it gym, yoga, pilates, running, etc. is a really good way to release good endorphins in the brain, exhaust your thoughts and body so you can sleep pretty soon after your head hits the mattress.

That is exactly what I do. I have been in recovery for some time now and that was one the main downfalls for me in my dark days. It is amazing how staying busy (in a productive way), working out and being honest with yourself goes a long way. Yeah I know that seems like a lot, but it really helps with your mental and physical strengths. Stress is normal to have, but how you react to it is different.

Day by day!

Leland

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Being a ex truckie, i had to teach myself to relax. On our compulsory 30min break, i didnt eat (as i eat and drive) i use to have a wash and go and find relaxing chair and just close my eyes, concentrate on my breathing and just let the mind rest. Had my alarm set as only get Max 6hrs sleep a night while on the road so if i got to relaxed i would still wake up.
I found this worked that well if i did it on my last break, after 12 hrs driving, after my next 2 hrs driving i legally have to stop and sleep, i would be awake and struggled to nod off for a cpl hours lol

The irony ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I grew up digging holes, running excavating equipment and busting bad guys. Now that I'm not compelled to do these as my sole means of support, I often do them for fun on the weekends. Point being, perhaps something you use to do, that you developed some skills or interest in, may be a sort of relief from what you "have" to do now. I've found (for me) that doing things that are relatively short in duration, somewhat dangerous, and very involved are an excellent escape from the woes of modern living.

Reaction score
I deal with stress with running - not the walking on the treadmill. Walking, or doing soft excersise only encourages further thoughts about my day. I like the hard, and fast running. Really does release those positive hormones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
This is how I deal with stress, nothing like doing a few mag dumps at the range to relax.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is how I deal with stress, nothing like doing a few mag dumps at the range to relax.

I figured that would be your method!;) Hopefully I'm not going to see you on trial on Court TV/True TV. It's amazing how many trials they have on there are from Florida.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.