Can I have 2 routers, maybe with a switch HELP

Reaction score
Here is my saga.
I initially had a Linksys router and I have a Brother Laser wireless printer and a Epson inkjet wireless printer. I wanted to change to a Time Capsule so I could do routine back ups. When I changed to the Time Capsule it works great as a router and the Epson printer works ok but the problems started with the Brother printer. It will not connect with the router and will not work. I have spent hours on the darn thing. When I bought it from Staples a year ago I bought one of the service plans where you can call for tech help. I called them and they just gave up. Told me it must be my computer which I know is not the case cuz everything else is working fine. I also went to one of those sites where you can pay someone to help. They gave up too. When I hook up the linksys router the Brother printer starts working again perfectly, so I piggybacked the TimeMachine into the Linksys. Both Networks show up under Airport but to print I have to change to the Linksys Network and to have the back ups work I have to make sure it on the Time Machine network. It would be nice not to have to keep switching to different networks all the time. I have seen some references online to using a switch and bought one but lost as to how to use it. Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

Thank You
Denise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Do you have the model numbers of all the stuff you are trying to use? Also how does the Brother Printer connect to the network? In Fact how does it all connect up?

It sounds like you've gone down a lot of paths with help from experts so I am not sure anyone can do anything more.

Note - I have 2 routers in essence - 1 netgear and the Time Capsule. It works fine but I turned off the Wireless on the netgear and use the Time Capsule for that. The Netgear is used for everything else - dhcp, nat, dynamic dns, etc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To add to what Ivan asked, is the Brother printer a Laser printer and does it have a Network RJ-45 Jack on the back where you plug in a Cat-5 Cable?

OP
T
Reaction score
The Brother is a wireless printer and it does have the Network RJ-45 connection on the back. I forgot to mention, I tried to connect wireless and also with the network cable through the router. Neither way worked. Of coarse it works with a direct USB connection to the computer.
The Brother is a 4070 CDW
The Time Cap is the 1 Terabyte
The Linksys router is a WRT 160N V2
The switch I bought today but is not hooked up is a Linksys EZXS 88W

One other thing that is sort of odd, when I search for Networks with the printer, it will find the Time cap network, just won't connect or print from it.

Ivan.....Which Router do you connect first coming out of the Cable Modem?
I assume all the things you mention are turned off are in the software you can go into. I have been there but not great with it but will try just about anything.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Real fast, how are you connecting the brother to the old Linksys router? Wireless? Cat-5 (RJ45) since you say that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have any network security setup? WPA, WEP, WPA2? If you turn any security off does it help with the printer?

I have the Netgear as the main router/NAT so the cable modem plugs into the Netgear. The Time Capsule is connected to the Netgear and is setup in bridge mode. Usually you configure a linksys with a website by going to it's ip address with a web browser. The TC is configured via the Airport Utility - which either came with a CD (for Windows) or is already on your Mac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have set up what I think you are trying to do. I have a Belkin router and a Time Capsule. The Belkin router provides wireless access for a few older devices. The Time Capsule handles wireless services for everything else.

Here is a rough idea of what i have set up at the moment. Perhaps it will help.

1. Cable modem is connected to Belkin router. It's wireless network is handling older devices that would slow down the newer wireless N devices.

2. Wired devices and the Time Capsule are connected to the Belkin router. The Time Capsule is set to provided wireless N access for the newer devices.

3. My printer is set to look for the Time Capsule's network so I don't have to switch networks to print. When setting up the Time Capsule you will need to manually assign an IP number different from the router. If the main router is 192.168.2.1 then the TC could be 192.168.2.2.

4. Whichever network you assign the printer to if you cannot get the printer to join the network turn off security temporarily and make sure the network is broadcasting its SSID. Once it's connected and printing save the info following the printer's guidelines. You should be able to turn security back on and hide the SSID if you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude has some good suggestions - but if you are hiding your network - forget about that. It is the worst thing you can do. It provides 0 security from anything, period end of story, istumblr will find your network name in a matter of seconds even if it is hidden. See this article from 2007 (netstumbler is the windows version of istumblr)
How To Discover Hidden Wireless Network | Raymond.CC Blog

Again - to be clear hiding your SSID does nothing for security and just makes your life harder trying to connect anything.

Also - to be clear Slydude and I are suggesting the same thing - turn off all security - including WPA/WPA2/WEP, broadcast SSID, and turn off Mac Filtering too, anything that is an impediment to connect - then try connecting the printer. Turn it back on after you figure out if it will connect to the open network.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I currently have the SSID hidden on one of my networks but like you I am coming to the conclusion that hiding the name is useless. I have one of those USB wireless dongles on one of my Macs. The utility that comes with it sees the hidden network but does not show the name. If I remember correctly it shows the type of encryption but not the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go grab istumbler - it will show how useless hiding is. I also used to hide my SSID but found it was more trouble than it was worth.
http://www.istumbler.net/

If you want to see how useless WEP is grab kisMac
kismacng

OP
T
Reaction score
I am sort of overwhelmed by all this info. Don't understand 1/2 of it. Sorry, you guys are above my level. I am going to play around with some of this info.
Denise

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.