ipad file browsing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
A few questions here...

I know there are loads of apps for browsing files, but i wanted to ask you guys which is the better one for my needs. The ipad is not jailbroken.

Basically, I want to see where my files are stored on the ipad, via the actual device, not just on my mac and then if possible, email, open, rename etc from this browser. Also - if possible, connect to other machines and open and copy files from a machine to the ipad.

Any help on this would be really useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The iPad uses Flash Storage - not the same thing as your computer's HDD.
On the iPad, your photos are in the Photos App, your music is available through the iPod app, your documents are stored in Pages if you have that app, PDFs are generally kept in iBook, and so on and so on...

If you want to quickly find a specific file, swipe right from your home page to pull up the Search function.

To rename a file, do so on the computer that your iPad is synced to and then plug in your iPad and sync to make the changes. To copy "files" (as you put it) to the iPad, plug in to your computer and sync through iTunes.

iTunes is how you get photos, music, PDFs, etc. onto your iPad. Apps can be purchased directly from the iPad in the App Store or on your computer and then loaded to the iPad once it is plugged in.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
thanks for that. is there no way to actually browse files like on a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Not that I'm aware of...

C

chas_m

If you're wanting to browse the files on an iPad, you are missing the entire point of the device.

It's like wanting to study the engine of a bicycle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.