MacBook touchpad and keyboard don't work

Reaction score
I recently bought a MacBook off 2006.
But it doesn't work properly, the internal keyboard and touchpad do not work.

The previous owner told me that he had installed the MacBook with a Dell keyboard and therefore he thought that 'custom' firmware was installed. This initially seemed a strange story, but when I took the test my Apple keyboard does not work (external) and a Dell keyboard (external) does work.

So with this keyboard (Dell) i've installed Snow Leopard from a formatted drive.
In summary, what it comes down to the keyboard and mouse only work externally. Could this really a Firmware / software related problem?

OP
D
Reaction score
I've just opened the topcase, and re-connected the keyboard,
Everything looks fine under the hood (as far as I can see).

I hope this is a software problem :Blushing:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds very much like a hardware problem, not software. When a keyboard and trackpad are not working while an external one does, it's not caused by software.

I would go back to the person who sold it to you and ask if they may have spilled something on the keyboard - water, liquid, etc. That may be the reason neither the keyboard or trackpad are working. It sounds to me the seller was not being entirely honest with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15.2" 1.67Ghz HR
Are you certain that it's NOT a software issue? The touchpad and mouse are USB aren't they? I'd look for the driver (if available), or try a third-party USB program like Overdrive and see if it helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read his post closely. He said the internal keyboard and trackpad are not working. Has nothing to do with software or drivers. Very likely a spill as I stated previously. Also note he said an external keyboard works which means his USB port is OK.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it most likely that the Topcase or the Logic Board causes the problem?

It depends. If it was a spill, then it could very well be logic board damage. If it wasn't a spill or other damage, then perhaps a new keyboard assembly would fix it. Anyway, take a look on the iFixit: The free repair manual web site for parts replacement and instructions on how to change out the keyboard assembly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is a very odd and suspicious story.

Check that the keyboard cable is in good condition and with no apparent kinks or cracks. Then check out the liquid in the keyboard theory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15.2" 1.67Ghz HR
Read his post closely. He said the internal keyboard and trackpad are not working. Has nothing to do with software or drivers. Very likely a spill as I stated previously. Also note he said an external keyboard works which means his USB port is OK.

You're exactly right my friend. Thanks for correcting me.

OP
D
Reaction score
It is a very odd and suspicious story.

Check that the keyboard cable is in good condition and with no apparent kinks or cracks. Then check out the liquid in the keyboard theory.

I took it out, and the cable looks all fine.
No signs of a spill under the hood. Everything looks perfectly fine.

Hmm.. what to do? :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.