OSX 10.6 Screensaver won't lock

Reaction score
Hi,

:Mischievous: I have to confess that I have been playing around with security here. I created a hidden admin account (one that does not appear in System Preferences / Accounts), there is now a small problem. No matter what account I use (hidden or otherwise) and no matter what I set in Security WRT requiring a password after sleep or screensaver a password is no longer required. FYI I used the following to hide the user:

/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow Hide500Users -bool TRUE
/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList -array myadmin
/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool FALSE

I have also ensured that auto-login is not enabled - when i shutdown/reboot I still have to log in.

It may have nothing to do with it but I thought it was worth a mention. Any ideas out there?

OP
J
Reaction score
Interesting

OK - so mystery solved.. sort of.

Up to this point I had tried a number of different things. I had rebooted.. logged in and out with the 2 accounts (one hidden) and changed the screensaver/security settings back and forth with no luck. Then I posted to this forum as a last resort; I hate being beat.

Just after I did that I thought of one thing I hadn't previously tried. So I created a new, standard user account (ie not admin) and logged in with that. To my amazement I was able to lock my screen with the screensaver. I logged out and back in with my own account and bingo! The screensaver lock was restored. I'd really like to find out what went on there but I am afraid I will never find out. As per the original post any ideas on that would be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.