• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Toast DVD 16:9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I couldnt already see a thread on this but just cant figure out how to do this.

I am copying some movie files to dvd and can copy them using toast without any issues but when I play them on my tv they are the wrong size.

My tv displays at 16:9 and although I have it set to pal in toast i cant find anyway of changing the ratio they are burnt at.

I would be grateful for any help people can offer on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If the source is 4:3 it won't change it to 16:9.
PAL is just the frame rate standard not the aspect ratio.
You can use software to crop to 16:9, but it looks a bit ropey or you lose top and bottom.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the source is 4:3 it won't change it to 16:9.
PAL is just the frame rate standard not the aspect ratio.
You can use software to crop to 16:9, but it looks a bit ropey or you lose top and bottom.

Perhaps I am explaining it wrongly.

When I used Nero on windows I didnt do anything and it copied files to DVD without any issues.

Now I am using Toast when I play the file on my dvd the side of the movie is missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hmm. ok, then that's a little odd.
Are you basically saying that Toast is cropping it to 4:3, or squashing it in?
Which version of Toast are you using and I'll look into it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. ok, then that's a little odd.
Are you basically saying that Toast is cropping it to 4:3, or squashing it in?
Which version of Toast are you using and I'll look into it.

Toast is cropping it not squashing it as the picture is full but missing a bit at the side.

I have since remembered my dvd plays avi files straight from dvd so have watched using that and its fine.

I am using Toast Titanium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Toast 9 or 10 though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Np. Will get back to you tomorrow with some more info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.