Recording Skype phone calls

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I need to record a Skype phone call to be able to play it back and take notes. It will be an over-seas call and I and the other participant are aware we will be recording. I have never done this before and I need to know which programs to use with the iMac, or can I use something already on My Mac. Are there any free reliable programs or are there sites like photo-bucket to join where I can place and record a Skype call? I have a standard Mac, OS X version, 10.5.8.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The creme-de-creme of Mac audio recording applications is arguably WireTap, WireTap Studio | Ambrosia Software, Inc., but it's costly. It can be used for any audio passing through your Mac, so consider it an investment. IMCapture wins on price!

Footnote: I tested IMCapture, and it messed with Skype badly. Skype (v 2.7.0.330) would not work at all. I used CleanApp to remove IMCapture, and it tried also to remove a heap of other valuable apps and the files (eg. .plist) that it somehow associated with IMCapture. Use IMCapture at your own risk therefore.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I need to record a Skype phone call to be able to play it back and take notes. It will be an over-seas call and I and the other participant are aware we will be recording. I have never done this before and I need to know which programs to use with the iMac, or can I use something already on My Mac. Are there any free reliable programs or are there sites like photo-bucket to join where I can place and record a Skype call? I have a standard Mac, OS X version, 10.5.8.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Scott

I recommend this article: How to Record Skype Into Garageband With SoundFlower and LineIn - wikiHow

However there are a couple of tweaks I made.

Tweak #1: You don't have to create "New Basic Tracks" Just open New project & choose podcast
a) Choose the Female voice as the Skype call and apply the settings recommended by the article to the Female Voice on the program.

b) And choose the male voice for yourself and apply the settings per the article.

Tweak #2. Skype: Audio input: Choose whichever gets the meter moving when you speak, so if one doesn't work, choose the other setting, then choose the one where the meter moves.

Tweak #3: Don't forget to enable multitrack recording and push the red button for both tracks. I spent hours on why I could only record on one track and not the other. I was pulling my hair out why I couldn't record both tracks simultaneously when I called the Skype Voice Mail (Test Call) Center.

I hope this helps!!! As a newbie Mac owner, I feel like a total evangelist..

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Quick Time has a Screen Recorder/System Audio Recorder built in, completely free.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
itll record whatever is on your screen and whatever is playing through your system Audio. :)

Reaction score
Just made an account to keep this thread current for recording skype phone calls
1. Download soundlfower http://soundflower.en.softonic.com/mac
2. Download lineIn https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/
3. Install a second copy of the lineIN program
4. Search in finder for the audio MIDI setup, open it, and click on multi output device on the left
5. System Preferences>Sound>Output>Multioutput device
6. Check to use output and soundflower (2ch), and check the drift correction for soundflower
7. Open a LineIn program from applications. Default System input for input, and set output to soundflower (2ch)
8. Open your second copy of the LineIn program. Set input to built in microphone and output to soundflower (2ch)
9. Open quicktime audio player File>New audio recording
10. To the right of the record button there will be a small white arrow. left click, and select soundflower (2ch) as the input
11. Press playthrough on both LineIn windows, your selection option will grey out
12. Insert headphones, and test internal, and external recording with the skype test call. You will see movement in the grey bars above the record icon in quick time player.
13. You're ready to record

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.