Dead G4 DA ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-Digital Audio-466mhz-1.25GB-120GB HDD
Hi im new here so I wasnt sure where to put this. I have an aging G4 DA which has been serving me quite well recently, I changed the hard drive because my old one died but now I cant install anything on it. Im trying to install Tiger 10.4. When it starts up I can get to the "select destination" screen and no hard drives are showing up despite having formatted the drive (I have tried 5 hd's and nothing) I cant access the Utilities on the DVD, this just causes it to freeze. Is this G4 dead ? If not does anyone have any ideas what it could be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is it something to do with the master / slave settings on any of the drive

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, i only have one drive in it and its set to master

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand is the hard drive? Some WD drives if they are the only drive you set it to single.

When booting with the OSX DVD, you try and launch Disk Utility and it freezes?

Another thing to check it the IDE Ribbon cable. Seen a lot of them fail on the G4 Macs as it flexes every time the door is opened and closed.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The drive is Seagate. When I try to run ANYTHING from the menu it freezes. I will have to check/change the ribbon cable and see if that works, thanks dtravis7

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.