Problem, a disconnected fire wire transfer

Reaction score
Morning All,

Can anyone help?

I have a problem!!!! A large problem!!!

Yesterday I bought a new I Mac with a firewire lead to transfer data from my Mac Book to my new I Mac. I plugged it all in, followed instructions and started to transfer the data. The data was being transferred, although at a very slow speed. So slow that I actually left it running in the kitchen overnight.

The problem is this!

This morning I got woken up my 6 yr. old son standing at the side of the bed holding my macbook. He informed me that he wanted to watch a DVD in bed and that it was broken! He was not half wrong!

I now have a new Imac with half of the details transferred........no I Work, Power Point, Entourage etc (all I have is Finder, Dashboard, email, Safari, address book, Itunes (which does not open) and finally calendars. I then have a Mac Book that will not even turn on. Everything I do just goes to a white screen! Sometimes I get a white screen with a file image and question mark on it blinking and some times the apple image comes up followed by a Do Not Enter Sign.

What do I do?

I am guessing I can run the migration process again and that would resolve the issue (half of the data) on my i Mac. Am I right in saying this? But what do I do with my MacBook (blank white screen)?

Any help would be kindly appreciated on this Halloween morning by an annoyed father of a 6 yr. old boy who gets up way too early!!! What a start!

I look forward to hearing from you all. Hopefully

Kind Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Aggh, what a nightmare, however all may not be lost.

Firstly we need to see if we can get the Macbook back to life, so get your install disc and run disk utility to verify the permissions and the HD, and run any repairs it may need.
Once done you should boot up and see where you are with the Macbook.
Hopefully it will not have had any data erased, and we can then go on to the next step.

OP
F
Reaction score
kevriano,

I will do that and come back to you. It is a journey to the loft for me....

Regards and thanks for your help. fingers crossed. I know, not what I need on a Sunday morning......

Regards

OP
F
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAhhhhh

Kevriano,

I have put the installation install disk one in and nothing is happening......the white screen appears and then a do not enter type road sign......

Oh and now the disk does not want to eject!

Any other suggestions?

An even more distressed father of a 6 yr old!!!

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok, restart and make sure you're holding down the "C" key to boot to the disc.
hat should bring up the installer, quit the installer and go to the file menu and select disk utility from there and open it.
Run verify permissions and verify disc, repairing anything it asks you to.

OP
F
Reaction score
Result so far just need to ask more advice

when i try to quit the installer its asking me to either

restart
startup disk or
dont quit.

Which one? I am guessing restart!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Scroll along the file menu and you should see disk utility in a drop down menu as an option and select that.

OP
F
Reaction score
The morning is getting no better!! lol

It is coming up saying Error: No Valid Packages.... :\

Would it be easier for me to take it into an apple store so they can see the issues?

Really confused!!!

Children, who needs em!! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then it sounds like it has lost all of your OS data.
Try restarting to the start up disc and see what it says.
Short of that you may be lucky and be able to archive and install, but otherwise you are going to have to do a completely clean install of the OS, which means you may as well do the same on the iMac.
Apple store will tell you much the same, or refer you to a data recovery service, which are stupidly expensive, and have no guarantee of being able to recover anything either.
The thing is the data should really still be there, it's just the OS that has become corrupt.
They could be a possibility of using target disc mode to see if there is anything recoverable that way.
Out of interest, have you tired making the transfer agin, just to see what happens? It won't hurt, and the Macbook will be fixable anyway, albeit with a loss of content.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.