HP Photosmart C5280 doesn't want to scan

Reaction score
Dear all,

yesterday I've installed the new iMac i3 for my dad. Everything went well but one (for him) important thing didn't work:

He's a HP Photosmart C5280 printer / scanner. I've download and installed the lastet drivers and software package rom the hp website - installation went well. Printing works fine but scanning NOT. And this is the problem. In case I open the scan program and start scanning a document, the hp starts scanning for a few seconds (sometimes only moments) and then the following error message appears on the screen: Unknown issue (or german 'Unbekannter Fehler'). Has anybody of you a helpful tip?

Until yesterday my dad used a Windows PC and the printer / scanner combination worked even the scanning functionality.

Looking forward to your answers

Stephan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac7,1 2.4 GHz OSX 10.6.5
Have you downloaded the latest drivers from Apple? Also, try scanning from Preview to see if that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Dear all,

yesterday I've installed the new iMac i3 for my dad. Everything went well but one (for him) important thing didn't work:

He's a HP Photosmart C5280 printer / scanner. I've download and installed the lastet drivers and software package rom the hp website - installation went well. Printing works fine but scanning NOT. And this is the problem. In case I open the scan program and start scanning a document, the hp starts scanning for a few seconds (sometimes only moments) and then the following error message appears on the screen: Unknown issue (or german 'Unbekannter Fehler'). Has anybody of you a helpful tip?

Until yesterday my dad used a Windows PC and the printer / scanner combination worked even the scanning functionality.

Looking forward to your answers

Stephan

I have the same issue with a HP Officejet 4580 was using it on my pc and it worked fine but doesnt scan on the Mac.

On checking it would appear HP no longer support scanning on a Mac on a number of their devices.

There isnt any fix for it from HP but managed to scan using the inbuilt scanning software on my Mac.

Everything else works fine its just the scanning that will no longer work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.