Sony knows about MAC Connectivity Issue!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
I have a new SONY KDL52NX800 52" NX800 SERIES HDTV. After posting here and trying numerous trouble shooting steps, Finally I hear from a SONY Tech. They have changed there codes and the new SONYS are even more stingy about shaking hands via HDMI, especially with MAC. In fact they are aware MACS will not work on the NEW SONYS.

They said that there may be a software or a hardware update coming for SONY and that MAC may offer an upgrade.

Regardless, in launching a new line, you would think that SONY would of integrated comparability with Macintosh early on in their production?

As the KDL52NX800 52" NX800 SERIES HDTV is still within the the 90 days I may return the SONY unless SONY gets this issue fixed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Appreciate the report.

If you want to keep the Sony, there is one device you could try to fix the EDID issue with it. It's the DVI Doctor.

You would connect this device to the TV. It will read and store the EDID info. You then unplug the power cable from the device, connect your Mac to it and the DVI Doctor will provide the proper EDID info.

It does use DVI on both sides. So, you would need a DVI to HDMI cable to the TV and a mini displayport to DVI adapter to connect your Mac to the device (for all Macs less than about 2 years old). Not cheap, but probably about $70 total from monoprice.

One issue you should know before this purchase, the DVI Doctor is not HDCP compliant. So, watching those iTunes DRM purchases/rentals will likely be a no go.

Edit: guess I should add this to the sticky at some point.

C

chas_m

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

OP
myvinyl333
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
Thank you for the grammar lesson. I put brands in caps, such as SONY and also referred to MAC via Mcintosh which is not to be confused with MacIntosh, of which I have three.
jorge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thank you for the grammar lesson. I put brands in caps, such as SONY and also referred to MAC via Mcintosh which is not to be confused with MacIntosh, of which I have three.
jorge

That's always your choice. Just be prepared for some confusion as MAC and Mac are two very different things.

OP
myvinyl333
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
My apologies if anyone was confused and thought I was NOT speaking of a Macintosh laptop computer.From now on I will post Mac as not to confuse those that may think Media Access Control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My apologies if anyone was confused and thought I was NOT speaking of a Macintosh laptop computer. Here forth I will post Mac as not to confuse those that may think Media Access Control.

LOL It is a big deal for some. Me being in a Mac forum would know better than to think you where thinking of Random Access Control. But thats just my thinking ;)

I personally like to concentrate on the question in hand ......

Which unfortunately have no answer :( lol

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.