Power Mac G4 will not duel boot

Reaction score
I am an Apple Consultant and I do training, hardware repair, and setup. A client has asked me to transfer her data from a very old OS 9 PowerMac G4 to a slightly newer OS 10.3 PowerMac G4. (She's not interested in anything newer ***) I've transferred most of her data but I would like to install the drive from the old Mac into the not as old mac as a secondary HD so she could still boot into OS 9 if she wanted to and run it in classic mode.
the problem is I installed the drive in the second bay but the computer doesn't recognize the OSX drive when the OS9 drive in installed. If I unplug the OS9 Drive it boots from the OSX drive fine. Even holding down the option key on startup only gives the OS9 drive as an option... What do I need to do to set that drive as a "secondary" or "slave" drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Question one is the second drive jumpered to slave? Go to the drive manufacturer's web site for instructions on setting the pins and jumpers. For example this is how Seagate manage it:-

http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/u5_family_1.gif

Also some model FW800 G4's will not boot to Classic.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well the problem is that it will only boot to classic when a classic drive is plugged in. this doesn't happen when it's hooked up via firewire though.

The drive is out of the older Power Mac. so I don't know. How do I plug it in in a way that makes it the slave drive? and if so can I still boot from a slave drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As harry has pointed out, it's the jumper settings on the drive itself that denote whether it's a slave or master, not the way it's plugged in.

OP
R
Reaction score
Okay, so it has to do with some little switches on the side? I just have to find the brand and set the switches to be slave status?

OP
R
Reaction score
Never mind. I did a little research and it looks like what I need is a little "jumper shunt" to plug into the jumper settings prongs. I'm assuming I can just get one of these at maybe radio shack or something?

Thanks you guys so much for your help!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Research? Did you read the posts and look at the Seagate illustration?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never mind. I did a little research and it looks like what I need is a little "jumper shunt" to plug into the jumper settings prongs. I'm assuming I can just get one of these at maybe radio shack or something?

Thanks you guys so much for your help!! :)

Too bad you don't live near me... I have a box full of jumper shunts of various colors laying around in my computer junk pile. :)

If the drives did not include the jumper shunts (should already be on the back of the drive), you can make one easy enough with a small piece of solder wire cut from a spool.

OP
R
Reaction score
Research? Did you read the posts and look at the Seagate illustration?
Yes, thank you so much. I did still have to do a little searching because I wasn't clear as to how to actually set the "jumper settings". from what you guys were saying I thought they were some kind of switches. I didn't know I would need a piece to connect them.

Too bad you don't live near me... I have a box full of jumper shunts of various colors laying around in my computer junk pile.

If the drives did not include the jumper shunts (should already be on the back of the drive), you can make one easy enough with a small piece of solder wire cut from a spool.

Thanks! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.