• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Why Apple's 11-Inch MacBook Air Is TSA-Approved

Reaction score
I've never been through an Airport post 9/11, but from what I hear, security is a nightmare- and reading this:

And yes, by "breeze right through," I mean "waddle through shoeless while hanging onto your unbelted pants and the little dignity you have remaining."

Seriously, you have to take your pants off in front of God and everybody else?

I'll drive thanks. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I could care less if they allowed computers through a scanner, mine are just fine going through the regular bag scanners, so I don't think it's a big deal. As for people complaining about being searched, there's a simple fix, go to the airport prepared! We fly a lot, and there are stupid people ALL the time who go through the scanners with unbelievable metal objects, as if they don't know what a metal detector body scanner is for! They can't force you to take your pants off in front of anyone.

I believe people way overreact when complaining about having to take their shoes off and etc, big deal! Just do it and move on. I'd rather have strict security than have to worry about some weirdo having something in his shoe/jacket/whatever.

I have noticed one thing. The people who go through airports, who believe they are above the law, even though they are just a plain citizen like you and I, are the one's who complain about everything, and raise a stink about removing shoes and etc. because of their rights violated.

I could keep on going, but wont. I get why they allow the mba to pass with you, but I dont think they should let it pass.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I believe people way overreact when complaining about having to take their shoes off and etc, big deal! Just do it and move on. I'd rather have strict security than have to worry about some weirdo having something in his shoe/jacket/whatever.

I agree I have to take off my shoes everytime. Cause I like to wear the steel capped boots. Very fancy lace up ones but still the steel is there. And it does not worry me. Just get there 10 mins earlier and no issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd be happy if they just did this: The 'Israelification' of Airports

What we do in the US isn't security, it's just a feel good so everyone can complain, nod their heads and say "We did something". If we are going to hold everyone up for so long, I expect some pretty thorough searches of everything. Not a pat down and someone tossing my luggage for 30 seconds. If they did the screening right, they'd be able to give you a sharp shiny steak knife for your in flight meal (like they do on El Al). That they think by making arbitrary determinations based on the size of a netbook, we are somehow safer (or not) is both ridiculous and insulting.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And what would stop people using that steak knife they get inflight and using that for evil deeds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As for people complaining about being searched, there's a simple fix, go to the airport prepared! We fly a lot, and there are stupid people ALL the time who go through the scanners with unbelievable metal objects, as if they don't know what a metal detector body scanner is for! They can't force you to take your pants off in front of anyone.

I wholeheartedly concur. I've seen both men and women go through the scanner a dozen times, each time removing a different metal accessory. One would think that they'd understand that the METAL detector is going off because one is currently WEARING metal, and that one should remove all jewelry, coins, and watches all at once rather than just removing one and going through the metal detector, setting it off, and then doing it all over again.

What I do is stuff everything into my carry-on (wallet, keys, pretty much everything in my pockets). Then I just throw my shoes into a bin and toss them and my bag into the machine. Start to finish, takes me 15 seconds. Nice and efficient. Then again, I also fly very frequently and not once in every decade.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I do is stuff everything into my carry-on (wallet, keys, pretty much everything in my pockets). Then I just throw my shoes into a bin and toss them and my bag into the machine. Start to finish, takes me 15 seconds. Nice and efficient. Then again, I also fly very frequently and not once in every decade.

How long does that take? Like 30 seconds. The longest part for me is putting my boots back on my feet. I don't see the issue really. Taking your MBA out of your bag to be scanned separately to leaving it in your bag to be scanned inside the bag. Kinda pointless if you ask me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
And what would stop people using that steak knife they get inflight and using that for evil deeds?

I think El Al are secure enough to think that steak knife owning passengers are no match for the armed undercover agent. If they overcome him (or her) then they have to get through 2 doors to get to the cockpit, where the ex Isreali Air Force crew are likely to be armed as well.

Isreal has had decades of security threats to learn from, so they are one of the safest carriers around, despite many people who would just love to bring one of their planes down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

Same thing that keeps them from doing that in your restaurant, on a train or on a ferry.

However, on El Al it's these guys and gals who stop them...

Tactical-Life.com Israeli Mossad .22 LRS

Other than that, in America it is the Federal Air Marshals or more likely the "Let's Roll" crowd wanting to not die like sheep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
went through the airlines like a breeze on a trip to san diego, only problem was I forgot that i had my xbox360 in my backpack (priority items packed!) and they just reminded me that they I shouldnt let it get sent under the xray because it might wipe my hard drive.

also did a trip to equador a good 7 years ago with my family, no problems except my backpack had paperclips in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

I travel a lot on business and it's not that bad. Yes, it is inconvenient but it's not the nightmare people make it out to be. You can be through security in 5 min if you simply follow instructions.

Sometimes, driving isn't an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
just deal with the airports security measures. Everyone complains about them all the time. But if they were more relaxed about it and some dirt bag got on a plane with a bomb everyone would be saying "see, we need better security." You can thank all the terrorists and others for the way it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I have flying down to an art - I wear basketball shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops. Don't check any luggage, just do it by carry-on. Walk on the plane, fly, walk off the plane with all my possessions, and proceed to my destination. Fast and simple. The last time I flew, though, they made me take my flip flops off and put them through the x-ray machine. Getting pretty ridiculous...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My problem with this
That's right: Carry one of those bad boys through a TSA checkpoint, and you don't even have to take it out of your bag.

1st does it mean you put it through the scanner without removing it from the bag OR you can shoulder it as you walk through the Metal Detector ??

And in either instant you are going to have to take it out So the security can see it’s a 11' MBA in the 1st place.

I guarantee next time you rock up to fly with your MBA the security folk wont be as forthcoming. You go up and put you MBA in the case on the belt but stand there arguing to security its a MBA, and you produce documentation to prove it is and its TSA - Approved ....... Do you think they will let you through ?? Think not if you argue with them .... lol Little ironic IMO

Reaction score
It seems like having to take off shoes at the security checkpoint is just yet another hassle post 9/11 but something we all have to accept

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Nope, but if you have a metal belt buckle that sets off the detectors (most don't), you might have to take it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
My problem with this

1st does it mean you put it through the scanner without removing it from the bag OR you can shoulder it as you walk through the Metal Detector ??

And in either instant you are going to have to take it out So the security can see it’s a 11' MBA in the 1st place.

I guarantee next time you rock up to fly with your MBA the security folk wont be as forthcoming. You go up and put you MBA in the case on the belt but stand there arguing to security its a MBA, and you produce documentation to prove it is and its TSA - Approved ....... Do you think they will let you through ?? Think not if you argue with them .... lol Little ironic IMO

Currently all laptops must be removed from the bag they are in and put on the belt to go through the scanner. The MBA may be left inside the bag as it goes down the conveyor and through the scanner. It's still metal, so there's no way you could carry it through the metal detector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I travel a lot on business and it's not that bad. Yes, it is inconvenient but it's not the nightmare people make it out to be. You can be through security in 5 min if you simply follow instructions.

Sometimes, driving isn't an option.

Exactly! I totally agree.
Kind of hard for me to drive from Las Vegas to London for business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Currently all laptops must be removed from the bag they are in and put on the belt to go through the scanner. The MBA may be left inside the bag as it goes down the conveyor and through the scanner. It's still metal, so there's no way you could carry it through the metal detector.

OK now that is sorted out. Wont you have to remove the MBA to prove to security that it is a MBA and you dont have to remove it as its TSA - Approved ???? See the irony here ??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.