Advanced "Parental Controls" for Iphone/Ipod Touch App Store

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls

I currently have two Iphone's in my name that my two smally boys use. Problem is I don't really won't them to have complete control of my credit card on the app store (already had a couple of nasty credit card surprises).

Really what i'd like them to have is-

1) The ability to download and install free apps on the app store
2) The inability to download and install paid for applications on the app store- or simply the need to enter a password in order to download and install paid for apps.

I've tried parental controls on the iphone however this simple limits the ability to download and install all apps and doesn't specify based on whether they are paid for or free.

Thanks very much for your time

Tom

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only way to do it that I'm aware of is to remove your CC info from your iTunes account.

Yep, it means you'll now have to input your CC info when you want to purchase something and the kids will only be able to download free apps.

From memory, it's about like this:

In iTunes log into the Store under Quick Links
click on Account
click Edit Payment Information

change the Credit Card to None

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Why not setup a separate account for the kids that they can use without a cc attached to it? Could be the solution?!?

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
This the the kind of "parental controls" my father used in the days before computers!

FraternityPaddleBirch2-SF.jpg

Use it today, and your kids will have you arrested!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This the the kind of "parental controls" my father used in the days before computers!

What? No holes drilled in it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Nope, no holes! But he never got a chance to use it... something about respecting your elders!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

My dad wore his around his waist. It had holes and it held his pants up.
I'm still alive and I don't resent him or hate him for the discipline that kept me out of trouble growing up. O:)

Back on topic... I would also recommend deleting your credit card info in your iTunes account. Just sign into your account in iTunes, click on "Edit Payment Information" and delete your card #, etc. Also, if you sign out and don't let your kids know your Apple ID/Password, they can't even purchase an app with someone else's c/c... unless they know how to set up a new iTunes account.

C

chas_m

As a non-parent, this entire thread has me agog.

I have much to learn, obviously ... but the thought of any children having access to my cc for any reason ever ... wow.

To try and be constructive, however: I agree with the others, just remove your cc info from iTunes outright. Use iTunes gift cards for you and them as needed.

OP
S
Reaction score
cheers guys for the feedback, sorry i havnt replied to this thread for awhile

will try your suggestions now!

tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.