Accessing shared hard drive on Airport Extreme via iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Is there any way I can access my data stored on a hard drive that is hooked up to an Airport Extreme via my iPad?

I am thinking about getting the Airport Extreme, but not really sold on it yet.

Also how "fast" is the Wi-Fi connection from iMac to Airport Extreme versus the cable?

Thanks Martin

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
anybody tried this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There are a myriad of ways to do this - the easiest I found is Zumocast
ZumoCast - Stream your media to iPhone, iPad, and any browser. It's your personal cloud.

Just mount your Airport to a connected computer and use that computer as a Zumocast server. You can access music, movies and docs that are shared.

My friend also suggested Pogoplug - I haven't tried it but he seems sold on it.
Pogoplug
Not exactly your question, but if you want to hang NAS off of your network and have it accessible this solution seems pretty good.

The Wi-Fi connection is theoretically ~10x slower than a wired connection. 802.11n is 100Mbps vs 1000Mbps of the gigabit ethernet connection. It all depends on what you are transferring from where - on where the bandwidth limitation is.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Cool, I'll look into that. Thanks!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
ZumoCast works, but only if my computer is running too.
Which doesn't really make sense, because I could just plug the HD into the computer then...

Anybody out there with a solution for me?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Are you looking for a reason to buy an Airport Extreme or are you looking for a way to get data from your local network onto your iPad?

I can answer either - but if the only reason you want an Airport Extreme is for NAS with a USB hard drive then you want a Pogoplug. Also - what is wrong with plugging in the hard drive into your computer as a solution for use with Zumocast?

If you want to be convinced about buying an Airport Extreme - it is a little expensive but it works well. Don't forget you get a simultaneous dual band wifi router, with 3 gigabit ethernet ports and a USB NAS/Printserver. A USB/NAS print server stand alone can run from $45 on. There is one from buffalo that can act as a access point for $65.
Buffalo Technology Buffalo AirStation Nfiniti Dual Band EN Converter, Access Point and Bridge Wireless bridge - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
I already got the airport extreme.
And I am looking into getting an iMac in a few weeks...
I was just thinking, it would be nice to access data stored on a HD on my ipad without having to turn on the computer.
Like when i want to check on some files with out havung time to wait for the computer to boot. (at lunch time or whatever)
And then i can decide i want to save a copy on my ipad without having to plug in the cable.

Reaction score
Accessing hd on airport from ipad

I'm trying to figure this same thing out. Have you discovered anything yet?

Reaction score
I have an Airoort Extreme with two hard drives connected to it and I can access them directly from my iPad with a program called FileBrowser. Bought it awhile back but I'm pretty sure it was no more than a couple bucks. You open it up and just add a new connection with the name and IP address of the base station and when you connect the shared drive should come right up.

Reaction score
This is a solution

I have an Airoort Extreme with two hard drives connected to it and I can access them directly from my iPad with a program called FileBrowser. Bought it awhile back but I'm pretty sure it was no more than a couple bucks. You open it up and just add a new connection with the name and IP address of the base station and when you connect the shared drive should come right up.

I just purchased file browser for $4.99 and it does the trick. I am able to browse the hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme from my iPad. And I can watch movies stored there. Great solution! Just what I wanted.

dac

Reaction score
Filebrowser is perfect! Thank you!

Got Filebrowser, installed - it worked perfectly! Thank you.

Reaction score
I just purchased file browser for $4.99 and it does the trick. I am able to browse the hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme from my iPad. And I can watch movies stored there. Great solution! Just what I wanted.

How did you identify your HD in your AirPort express. I tried with IP adress but didn't work.

Reaction score
Playlist music

Filebrowser works really well. Got it setup in less than 5 minutes. :)

Anyone know a music player that I can use to create playlists on using my iPad and direct output to the airport express audio out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Filebrowser works really well. Got it setup in less than 5 minutes. :)

Anyone know a music player that I can use to create playlists on using my iPad and direct output to the airport express audio out?

This is an ancient thread about something completely different. Can I suggest you create a new thread with a more appropriate title and ask a mod to delete this one.

That way more people will see it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.