MAC Mail - can receive but can't send - using Exchange

Reaction score
Hi there

I have had my new MacBook Pro for 2 months now and am still toggling between my old laptop using Windows XP OS and the new MAC due to email problems.

I can send and receive emails on my old laptop using MS Outlook with no problem, but on the new MacBook Pro I can receive, but can't send.

I have been on to my email provider, who said it was a problem with their Exchange software, they suggested I phone my Broadband provider and use them for the Outgoing messages, was on the phone with BT (Broadband provider) for 2 hours and they could not get the emails to send, managed to send and receive using one of their own accounts.

One of the error messages is to do with the certificate and it not liking that the other says:

The sender address ..email .. was rejected by the server ..server name..
Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later etc etc.
Then it displays the email it's trying to send from.

It did this with both the Broadband provider (BT) and the email provider (Fasthosts - who are using Exchange 2003 POP3).

My mail mail version is 4.3, there appears to be 4 options when setting the Mac mail up which are: IMAP, POP, Exchange 2007 and Exchange IMAP.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Regards
TheSpottyDoggy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you can't use Outlook on your MBP (well, you can if you buy the new version of Office 2011), for now I would set mail up as IMAP with your ISP server in lieu of Exchange. That should work for both incoming and outgoing mail.

If you should decide to purchase Office 2011 business edition - which includes Outlook, you can change IMAP back to Exchange if you really need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.