• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Simplest way to put iPhone movies on YouTube?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Intel Quad-core i7 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB drive
Hi, I'm new to the Mac. My PC finally bit the dust after 8 years and I moved to a 27" iMac.

It's been a smooth transition as I'm a Linux admin by profession, but a few minutes ago I went through the hassle of publishing an iPhone movie to YouTube.

The way I did it was to import the movie from my iPhone into iPhoto, then export the movie out of iPhoto. I then imported the exported movie into iMovie, did some slight clipping to get rid of a few seconds in the beginning and a few seconds at the end, and published it to YouTube right from iMovie.

That sounds stupid to me. There must be a way to import directly from my iPhone into iMovie ... or at least import directly into iMovie from iPhoto without having to export the movie out of iPhoto first ... no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Or you can just upload the video directly from your phone to YouTube.

Reaction score
You can edit in the iPhone via the iMovie App you can purchase.

Or sync your phone to get your movies into iPhoto on your iMac (~ automatic depending on your settings)…then open iMovie and let it build thumbnails…which imports the new movies in iPhoto into it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can edit in the iPhone via the iMovie App you can purchase.

Or sync your phone to get your movies into iPhoto on your iMac (~ automatic depending on your settings)…then open iMovie and let it build thumbnails…which imports the new movies in iPhoto into it.

I tried that. Got the movies into iPhoto, but couldn't figure out how to get iMovie to either see them or import them.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or you can just upload the video directly from your phone to YouTube.

Ding ding, we have a winner. Never even thought to see if that was possible. This is officially my "doofus-of-the-day" moment.

Reaction score
I tried that. Got the movies into iPhoto, but couldn't figure out how to get iMovie to either see them or import them.

Maybe you are overcomplicating things? When iMovie is opened, it notes any new viddies in iPhoto and asks you if it can generate thumbnails. If you allow it to do so, then you can edit those clips.

So in my case when I sync I have things set to automagically suck in any new vids or pics. So then they are backed up in my Macbook Pro and available for heavier duty editing in iMovie once I let the latter generate the thumbnails. If iMovie was not open then opening it makes it asks about generating the thumbnails.

Easy, however you want to go about doing things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.