Cannot hold a connection to Macbook Pro using Home Sharing

Reaction score
I've had my new Apple TV (2nd gen) for a few days. I have zero problems with connecting it to my wireless network. It just won't hold a connection to my Macbook. I've turned off the firewall, turned off sleep mode, the whole 9. Basically when the Apple TV streams music it will play 2 or 3 songs and then lose the connection. However nothing else is affected - YouTube, Netflix, etc. all work. It just drops my connection to my Mac. Any ideas? I have a Netgear N router that has never given me trouble. I reset recently to do a test but it didn't matter - Apple TV still dropped the signal.. which by the way, when I check to see if Home Sharing is still enabled on my Mac after the connection is dropped, it still says it's on which leads me to believe the Apple TV just ain't cooperating.

Really frustrated. Kinda want to be able to enjoy my purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
What mac computer are you using?

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Just out of curiosity your not closing your macbook lid when viewing the apple tv are you? Closing the lid severs the wifi connection!

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, next question... what router are you using? Alot of people are having the same issue using, airport/ airport extreme.

- Simon

OP
N
Reaction score
Yeah I know it's been reported - although the link you provide is in reference to the first generation model.

I have a Netgear N router.

Actually what's currently happening is I'll be able to play about a song and half from iTunes and then Apple TV cuts out and goes back to the main screen. HOWEVER, my computer still shows up on Apple TV (meaning Apple TV didn't lose complete connection to my mac). Very strange... and frustrating.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Tell us a bit about your wireless network. Specifically:

1. What kind of wireless encryption are you using?
2. Is SSID broadcast turned on?
3. Have you experimented with the placement of the router?
4. Have you tried changing channels on the router's config page?
5. Have you tried updating firmware on the router?

OP
N
Reaction score
Tell us a bit about your wireless network. Specifically:

1. What kind of wireless encryption are you using?
2. Is SSID broadcast turned on?
3. Have you experimented with the placement of the router?
4. Have you tried changing channels on the router's config page?
5. Have you tried updating firmware on the router?

Excellent questions.

1. No idea. How do you find that?
2. No idea.
3. Yes.
4. When I initially set up the router, I had a desktop PC. I got rid of that and am now totally wireless so the router isn't directly hooked into any computer. From my mac, how do I pull up the router's config page now?
5. No, due to #4 not sure how to do that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Excellent questions.

1. No idea. How do you find that?
2. No idea.
3. Yes.
4. When I initially set up the router, I had a desktop PC. I got rid of that and am now totally wireless so the router isn't directly hooked into any computer. From my mac, how do I pull up the router's config page now?
5. No, due to #4 not sure how to do that.

OK, start here and let us know how you make out:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ai...technology/68784-wireless-networking-faq.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.