Gaming - OSX vs. Bootcamp

Reaction score
It seems to me like gaming on macs isn't up to par with PCs, even with games like Starcraft 2 that were duel released, probably because the OSX one is just a port of the windows one. I'm running 10.6 on my OSX partition and windows 7 64 bit business on my bootcamp partition. Would games run smoother on the bootcamp partition, or would it be essentially the same?

Specs:
Macbook Pro 2010 15"
8Gig RAM
500 GB HD 5400 RPM
2.66 GHz i7
NVIDA GeForce GT 330M
512 MB VRAM
OSX 10.6.4

Windows 7 parition: 100 GB

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Gaming is one area where Windows will just excel..as you've said unless a developer devotes to create a native OS X version of the game they are usually ports that just don't compare..

If you are serious about gaming, then stick to Windows and you won't be disappointed..

Regards

OP
M
Reaction score
So will playing games on bootcamp be equivalent to playing them on a windows computer with the specs of my Macbook Pro?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you run Windows through bootcamp on a Mac it _IS_ a "Windows computer" and will work fine..

The MBP uses an Intel processor and a 2.66 i7 is quite powerful and the 8G of RAM is definitely good..

Regards

Reaction score
MBP 17 - gamer

I have a MBP 17, core 2 duo 2.4 w/ 4GB ram. The machine plays WoW well enough, but I wouldn't recommend any mac books as gaming machines due to how they manage heat.

My machine gets very hot as the graphics requirements ramp up during gaming and this forces the machine to slow down; it becomes quite sluggish late in an evening session. I have also resorted to placing the machine on a Belkin cooling unit; the increased airflow helps some. I have also installed the SMC fan control app to increase the internal fan speed in an effort and aid cooling.

All of this helps, but still fails to really keep the MBP 17 cool. I can only imagine how much hotter the core i5 or core i7 machines with improved graphics cards will be.

Overall its a good machine and a decent replacement for a desktop, but it fails miserably at heat management and as such is not a gaming compatible device.

Only my opinion, so take it for what its worth...

Reaction score
I have a MBP 17, core 2 duo 2.4 w/ 4GB ram. The machine plays WoW well enough, but I wouldn't recommend any mac books as gaming machines due to how they manage heat.

My machine gets very hot as the graphics requirements ramp up during gaming and this forces the machine to slow down; it becomes quite sluggish late in an evening session. I have also resorted to placing the machine on a Belkin cooling unit; the increased airflow helps some. I have also installed the SMC fan control app to increase the internal fan speed in an effort and aid cooling.

All of this helps, but still fails to really keep the MBP 17 cool. I can only imagine how much hotter the core i5 or core i7 machines with improved graphics cards will be.

Overall its a good machine and a decent replacement for a desktop, but it fails miserably at heat management and as such is not a gaming compatible device.

Only my opinion, so take it for what its worth...

that is a very valid point. however if your system is slowing down, it truly IS overheating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.