problems since Office 2004 for Mac 11.6.1 Update

Reaction score
Since I installed the Office 2004 for Mac 11.6.1 Update, a few days ago, I cannot open three files. It seems that all other excel files will open without issue. I can view the contents of these three using the OSX (10.5.8) viewer with no issues.

There does not appear to be a problem with the files as they open with no problem on another computer, but when resaved with a new filename they again fail on the primary computer.

I have reinstalled the Office 2004 for Mac 11.6.1 Update and checked the previous update as well 11.6.0; all appears to be ok.

Restart/ shutdown do not have any effect.

I am stumped and i really need to keep using the files. Any suggestions are welcome. Next step is open office, but i'd like to keep using the MS Office.

Thx for your help.

OP
C
Reaction score
problem resolved.

Thank you Harry. I hadn't realized that the new update was posted...it wasn't earlier today when I checked.

Anyway, the files now open, so it was obviously a flaw in the previous update.

Great forum support.

Reaction score
Problem with Password-Protected Excel File

I have a similar problem that I think is traceable to a very recent update (Thursday?), although I didn't pay much attention to what was being updated (generally do this without thinking for Mac software). Since then, one password-protected file flashes the password window, but not long enough to make the entry. No problem with non-protected files. I retrieved the last two file versions from Time Machine backup with the same results.

I've only tried the one password-protected file as the others are important and I don't want to corrupt them. My Software Update request indicates everything is the most recent, although Microsoft Excel 2004 for Mac says it's V11.6.1.

Any other ideas? I'm not sure about restoring older Excel 2004 for Mac versions from Time Machine, as there may be several application files involved.

Reaction score
Sorry

Sorry, I spoke too fast. After sending above reply I tried your 11.6.2 update link and now everything works fine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My pleasure guys. And it ain't my update LOL but Microsoft's. Obviously it was pointed out pretty quick there was a gremlin in the works somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.