Bootcamp Win7 64bit and iMac 27" 2010

Reaction score
Hi all,

I plan to install my version of windows 7 64bit on my new iMac 27, i7 Late 2010. I originally read that the 64bit version can be installed on later model iMac's.

However, I just came across this site from Apple and it doesn't specify that 64bit win7 can go onto that model iMac, only the 2009 model.
Boot Camp: Macs that work with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7

Is this true? Has anyone installed 64bit windows on the late 2010 iMac 27 i7 model?

If I have to install the 32bit, would that have any effect on the mac OSX side of things which run in 64bit?

OP
O
Reaction score
Actually, another question... does anyone know if the late 2010 imac27 i7 have the black screen issue when installing bootcamp, or has this been resolved?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum.

There is no reason to believe that Windows 7 64 bit can not be installed on the 2010 iMacs. If it's a question of video drivers, Apple will have addressed that with a Boot Camp update or include them on the Snow Leopard DVD set for the 2010 iMacs. Some drivers may have to be downloaded from their respective hardware providers like ATI.

And no, if you install Windows 7 32 bit it will not have any impact on anything that is installed on the OS X side. Remember, this is a dual boot which means that Windows 7 is running separately from OS X.

You also mentioned the black screen problem.... As far as I know it's not an issue with the new iMac. You might want to do some searching to verify all of this just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2TB Drive 12GB RAM, 1GB ATI, CS3 Web Premium, Logic Express
Windows 7 on latest iMac i7

I have installed Windows 7 64bit using bootcamp on the iMac 27" i7 which I received from the Apple Store in October 2010.

No problems encountered and runs extremely well. Web browsing on 27" screen is a joy.

No black screen you reference encountered

Only problem I encountered was when I subsequently tried tried to create a 2nd Fat32 partition between my Macintosh HD partition and the Windows 7. What happens is you are unable to boot into anything Windows 7 or Osx. It was then I learn how little I knew about the iMac boot process, when I really needed to. After a bit of surfing via my iPhone found the option button to hold down whilst booting and boot into Osx. I then deleted the additional partition and all well.

:)

Reaction score
Imac 29 late 2009 windows 7 64 bit issue

Hi Guys,

I just found your discussions and I can confirm that my Imac Late 2009 is having problem with Win7 64 bit installation.
First of all I had to use memory stick with drivers for graphic card and installation gone through smoothly until I got to welcome screen
The step where you have to put a name for your PC and setup internet network etc.My Imac was unable finish this process and went down when last message was saying finiizing settings. The screen went black and when reebooted an error come up.
Find--set-root-ignore-floppies- ignore-cd /bootmgr
error 15: file not found
press any key to restart

Any ideas where is an issue?
Thanks

Intel Core i7 ATI Radeon HD 4850

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.