Loss of Magicjack dial tone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
When my iMac goes to sleep the Magicjack does too. However it does not return when mac comes back on except for headset use even though it is set for telephone.
It is necessary to re-insert Magicjack to restore dial tone.
Any ideas?

Bill

Reaction score
Not directly addressing your MajicJack problem .. but I highly recommend Ooma as the best internet phone service out there. Equipment pays for itself in a reasonable amount of time and then monthly cost is ~$3.00(US - depending on area). Terrific call quality and service features!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason your Magic Jack is acting the way it does is because your iNet connection is probably disconnecting when your machine goes to sleep. Some connections are like that. My former ISP connection did the same thing but the one I have now (Verizon FIOS) does not, it remains active.

@ron4mac

I found Ooma to be overpriced. Cost for the hardware and monthly fee did not add up to any savings for me. It may be of better quality (and that's debatable) but most folks are going to be taken back by the $249 initial outlay for the hardware.

Reaction score
@ron4mac

I found Ooma to be overpriced. Cost for the hardware and monthly fee did not add up to any savings for me. It may be of better quality (and that's debatable) but most folks are going to be taken back by the $249 initial outlay for the hardware.

chscag

You're absolutely right - the $249 (somewhat less if you search) is off-putting. But, just like Apple computers, sometimes a larger initial outlay is worth it in the end. My equipment has paid for itself and (with my premier subscription) I have two separate lines and phone numbers that cost me a total of US$110/year. I feel that the call quality and service features are excellent and the fact that I can also use the service to make calls from my iPod Touch and WiFi iPad is just pudding on the cake.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
Latest discovery is that Magicjack stays on if iMac times out to sleep rather than an initiation to sleep from the drop down menu under Apple icon. Go figure.

Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.