K
Reaction score
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/
i used that. it worked.
the only problem is...How do i know if
it's secured trashed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Just open Terminal, type in rm -rPf ~/.Trash/* (that asterisk is important or you'll end up deleting your Trash folder) and hit enter. Though this will only delete files in the trash on your boot drive.
To empty the trash from within Terminal on external drives (all of them), run: rm -rPf /Volumes/*/.Trashes/$UID/

I read that on my net readings. And to answer your question I think that command you posted is the secure delete.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is there any particular reason that you need to securely remove your files? If not, don't bother. If you do, note that it may take some time especially if you have a lot of files.

OP
K
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason that you need to securely remove your files? If not, don't bother. If you do, note that it may take some time especially if you have a lot of files.

well, I realized that if I don't secure trash it, the files will remain in the system. I'm sure it will take bunch of bits/space from my hard drive. does it matter if I just trash it? I hate to have files still exist when i delete it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
They technically don’t still “exist”.

When you normally empty the trash, it tells the finder that these files no longer exist, and the finder uses that space for something else.

OP
K
Reaction score

When you normally empty the trash, it tells the finder that these files no longer exist, and the finder uses that space for something else.

you saying it doesn't make much difference? why would some sites say it does, but it's hidden?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
well, I realized that if I don't secure trash it, the files will remain in the system. I'm sure it will take bunch of bits/space from my hard drive. does it matter if I just trash it? I hate to have files still exist when i delete it.

Printerman answered this here:

you saying it doesn't make much difference? why would some sites say it does, but it's hidden?

Straight from Apple:
Emptying the Trash clears room on your Mac for other files. But the data hasn’t actually been removed from your computer — the space occupied by these files is simply available to be overwritten by new information. Until this happens, it may be possible for someone to use data recovery software to restore your “deleted” files. And if this information is sensitive or confidential, it could potentially end up in the wrong hands.

So what this means, is that once you delete stuff, when using your computer, the space starts getting overwritten.
The more you use you Mac after deleting items the more the free space is overwritten.
So, for instance, if you were to accidentally delete something, and you wanted to retrieve it using data recovery software, or professional data recovery technicians, it is crucial that you don't use your computer in order to have the best success rate in recovery.

OP
K
Reaction score
Printerman answered this here:

Straight from Apple:

So what this means, is that once you delete stuff, when using your computer, the space starts getting overwritten.
The more you use you Mac after deleting items the more the free space is overwritten.
So, for instance, if you were to accidentally delete something, and you wanted to retrieve it using data recovery software, or professional data recovery technicians, it is crucial that you don't use your computer in order to have the best success rate in recovery.
Ah...finally got it. Thanks. In conclusion...I don't need to worry if I don't need those files.

If you can answer this question for me...
why isn't apple solving this problem? or had they?
because secure trash just freezes...it's probably common, huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've never had secure trash freeze, but it certainly can seem to go on for ever when deleting large or numerous files.
When you you wrote "I got files that I need to delete, but it freeze" I wasn't really sure what you meant.
I am guessing that you had a message in a dialogue box on the screen for a while saying something along the lines of "preparing to secure empty trash!"
Is this the case?

OP
K
Reaction score
I've never had secure trash freeze, but it certainly can seem to go on for ever when deleting large or numerous files.
When you you wrote "I got files that I need to delete, but it freeze" I wasn't really sure what you meant.
I am guessing that you had a message in a dialogue box on the screen for a while saying something along the lines of "preparing to secure empty trash!"
Is this the case?

well, the bar that shows how many items are being deleted just stopped..
(i mean..the process bar).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you running Leopard or Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even though I doubt it will fix it, give the combo updater a go Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)
Personally, unless you are in secret intelligence, run a financial institution, are under investigation for illegal activities, etc. I wouldn't wast my time and effort with secure empty trash .

OP
K
Reaction score
Even though I doubt it will fix it, give the combo updater a go Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)
Personally, unless you are in secret intelligence, run a financial institution, are under investigation for illegal activities, etc. I wouldn't wast my time and effort with secure empty trash .

i see. because if secure trash and trash makes no big difference except getting rid of files for good...i guess i can go with trash. like the other poster said, it will overwrite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.