old powerbook g4 won't boot

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm brand new here so excuse the redundancy or naivete' of this post.

After trying to use the "migration assistant" via firewire of all the old stuff on my 2003 circa powerbook g4 onto my spankin' new macmini, the old powerbook will not boot. All I get is a blank screen.

I tried to reboot with the original software install and restore disk and it popped up but wouldn't let me select a destination. I've zapped the PRAM, tried command+S, run Disk Utility, etc... but nothing. I'll try and go back and get all the error messages from the Disk Utility run to see if it reveals anything.

I'm just trying to retrieve the ability to go back on the old machine and salvage some stuff like email contacts, etc.. I was able to transfer everything onto the macmini but the age of the old machine won't let me open much.

Any ideas? Any solutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Guess you were a little late getting to the old hard drive and it has failed alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.