Microsoft Office vs. Open Office

U

UncSki1218

OK...i got my new mac. But, i didn't want to spend another 200 on office. I looked around online and found a great freeware suite called open office. It has programs almost identical to word, excel and powerpoint. Just one question for anyone who uses open office. If i make a spreadsheet or powerpoint in open office, could i edit it in microsoft office? ( i am not concerned about written files since i can just save them as .txt files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
UncSki1218 said:
OK...i got my new mac. But, i didn't want to spend another 200 on office. I looked around online and found a great freeware suite called open office. It has programs almost identical to word, excel and powerpoint. Just one question for anyone who uses open office. If i make a spreadsheet or powerpoint in open office, could i edit it in microsoft office? ( i am not concerned about written files since i can just save them as .txt files.

OpenOffice can save .doc/.xls/.ppt formatted files that are used by Microsoft Office. There should be a popup menu in the "Save/Save As" dialog to choose a format.

Compatibility is not 100%, though. Sometimes presentation graphics won't line up, text sizes change, outlines get different bullet points or numbers, tables lose or gain cells. Most of the time things look fine; the fancier the document, the more likely things will look different. If you're sending stuff to yourself, you probably won't care, but if you're sending files to your boss/professor/client, you might get screwed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
OP
L

Littleweseth

heheh - my (crappy) iMac seems to choke on NeoOffice/J - takes about a minute to start up, and when i tried to paste a large (think along the 1MB line) chunk of text into it, it turned into a pieca crap. At least Word X actually let me scroll still......
At least NeoOffice/J is faster than Office 2004. 2004 has issues with *blank* documents :D

(also allow me to say that OOo Math kicks the shicksers out of Equation Editor and even MathType (MathMagic is still teh sheet though) - though i strongly object to the use of comic sans on the buttons. Aerrgh! Problably redone in the 2.0beta branch?)

(i'm referring to my crappy G3 400MHz iMac. You have a 2.0GHz G4. The difference shouldn't be noticeable for you :D)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
Abiword is another good free office app.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Another vote for the NeoOffice version of open office --- so far total compatibility with XP versions of Word - Excel - Powerpoint --- I'm even using NeoOFfice for a web based CS 120 class (Comp Science) and using Neo to create Word docs that I send to the instructor -- no problems !!

As a laughable (and sad) side note - I did pop $150 (student discount) for MS Office for the mac just to be sure I could do this class ---- when I save the files from MS Office in "compatible" format ---- I can't view / open then on our XP system ---- pathetic

OP
U

UncSki1218

Ok some more questions. Which works more like a mac program...Neo Office/J or Open Office X11? Has anyone tried both...what are the differences? Does one have more features?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
NeoOffice/J works more like a Mac program. It stays open when closing the last window, uses system fonts and is generally better / easier to set up & use
Yes I have tried both on my Mac and have Open Office on the XP too. :)
Just made sure I had the same fonts installed on XP & Mac so I can swop spreadsheets etc around without a problem.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

NeoOffice is modeled around the mac interface ----- to be honest when I heard that I could get a free - open source application that was the equivilant of a $250 MS Office package ---- I was skeptical (esp. since I came from the PC world).

But its true - NeoOffice rocks and works great ---- I even went back to their site and made a $20 donation to the cause via my Paypal account. :p

Reaction score
Besides neooffice, openoffice, and abiword, do you guys know any other free mac-native office apps? I'm using an older OS X...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
always can go for the student and teacher edition for Office2008. Bestbuy sometimes puts out rebates for it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Besides neooffice, openoffice, and abiword, do you guys know any other free mac-native office apps? I'm using an older OS X...

Bean is a decent little word processor, and it's free and OS X native.

Reaction score
Bean looks awesome. Thanks.

I upgraded to 10.4.11 and have been able to use all the modern software I couldn't before, so I'm satisfied.

I love Mac.

Never thought I'd say that, no lie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Just downloaded NeoOffice myself. Anyone know if it works with the new .docx stuff from Office 2008?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Open Office is a great suite. It allows you to save your documents with Microsoft Office extensions.

Version 3 is now available which is pretty neat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06 ghz 4gb Ram 1tb, Ipod Touch 1g, iPhone 3G, iBook G4 1.2ghz 1.25 GB
I like iWork myself. Have never had a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.