How reliable is Time Machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X V.10.6.3, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Dear Mac Lovers,

I have a query regarding the Time Machine:

What if I wanted to save space on my Macbook Pro and just relied on time machine to access programs and such; for example- If I was to buy and install Photoshop CS5, but would like to access and operate it indefinitely from the Time Machine to prevent lag in my system, so the case would be as if Photoshop CS5 -for example- would be temporarily installed but then removed again to save space. I would then use Time Machine again to backup new files that I have installed. My question is, would this affect the data in my Time Machine, i.e. the removed Photoshop program, would also be eliminated in the backup data if it was updated?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It wouldn't be deleted, but that is a rather odd way of working

Photoshop does not take up that much room, you are better off looking at ways to store more of your itunes media and movies on an external drive and keeping a smaller amount of media for when you are mobile.

First find out what is taking up most of the room, buying a bigger hard drive, or managing your media for mobile and home use (where you have an external connected) is a much better strategy than constantly deleting and restoring apps.

Time machine will do that, just saying there are better ways of freeing up space.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, so you mean to say whenever I would want to access a program, it would have to be constantly installed through my main system in order for it to work?

The only reason I thought of this idea in the first place, was because back when I had Windows XP OS, I just used to install programs in my external hard drive, and then whenever I would want to use it, I would plug my external in and work from there, with the initial installation being done with in my system.

Do you have any suggestions on how I might do the same thing for my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Do the same for your Mac - you can install programs to the external drives and just run off of there. With the Mac there is no installer, just make a directory on your external drive, put your programs there, and run from there.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In any case, would it be a terrible idea to back-up my Mac, and then reformat it just to start anew, just to recover the files ad store it in the hard drive, and then eliminate Time Machine altogether?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why are you eliminating time machine?

You seem to be wanting to do something more than you are describing. Do you have a big picture description of what you want to do?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well here's the plan:

Get a copy of existing files via Time Machine
Reformat
recover media files from Time Machine
Install essential programs for my Mac (text edit, itunes,-- all the rudimentary applications)
Install and run big programs such as PS, Maxon, Final Cut etc on hard drive.
Initially reduce lag on my mac.

but the problem now seems to be- I had to reformat my EHDD so that time machine could use it. and I have clue how im going to duplicate my files from my EHDD to my PC and back to my EHDD again with Time Machine installed since it uses it for full occupancy for backing up files. And also I plan on using the EHDD to store the applications. I only have 160GB space in my machine.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just wanted to find out wether Time Machine keeps the files it stores, or wether it changes, i.e. the files from Time Machine are removed when files from the PC are also removed. Cuz you know how TM keeps on getting updated at regular intervals...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see - first might I suggest trying to upgrade your drive - $95 for 500GB from OWC and you can stick your old drive in a case for more storage.
DIY KIT: 500GB 7200RPM HD for MacBook,... (OWCYST9500420AS) at OWC

If you don't want to do that I would recommend getting a second drive - and moving files around with that drive - it sounds like you are out of space on all your drives so there really isn't anything you can do until you get space to move files around - as your current EHDD is taken by time machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The final answer is - Time machine will store files until you run out of space. It is stored by date so you have to go back far enough to find the deleted files. If you run out of space older files will be deleted. So as long as you have a copy in a later backup you should be fine - but you should open time machine to see the file - before you completely delete it. Since you are trying to do some fancy stuff with time machine check out Back in Time. There is a macupdatepromo discount currently.
https://www.mupromo.com/deal/1326/back-in-time

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have two EHDDs, both 500GB in capacity, it's just that my built in Mac memory is 160GB XD

Yes I shall take your word for it and get started as soon as my back up is complete...

My other EHDD, quite old, is a WD giant with its own power plug and such- so I tend to keep that one stationary at all times- storing passive files such as my music collection, media, movies, and ebooks instead. It's filled up however, so I might just have to do with partitioning my EHDD to capacitate both TM and data storage :S what do you think?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That software is exactly what I need... unfortunately complications surrounding working at 18 in this country compels me to ask my parents for money- only for necessary things. I cannot yet afford it but I will definitely keep it in mind :) thanks very much for your help <3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.