transfering directly pc to powerbook via firewire...possible?

Reaction score
Hello,
I thought that I read somewhere that you can transfer files and connect any computers via a firewire port.
I have loads of data on my desktop PC that I need to transfer to my new powerbook 12".
The PC does not have a firewire card, but I thought that I might buy one and install the card in the PC if I can transfer it that way.
From what I understood, when 2 computers are connected via firewire (be it PC's or Mac) that the other computer would show up as a drive or folder in the desktop of the other, and you can simply transfer in that manner.
Is this true? Is it that simple?
Also along those lines....I need to get a card reader for my powerbook; should I get a USB 2.0 reader or Firewire? Which is faster? And I couldn't find any firewire card readers anyway. I found that odd.
Thanks for the help again.

U

UncSki1218

It could be possible. Most likely you will see the pc show up on the mac but not vice versa. Unless you will continue to use your pc constantly the firewire card is a waste. You could use an ipod, external hard drive, wireless network, or a zip disk. All of those could be used in the future for other things too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Well, you can't boot a PC into target disk mode (no support for it on a PC BIOS)...

...and if you booted the Mac in target disk mode, the PC wouldn't be able to mount the HFS hard drive without third-party software.

D

Dylan

MacDrive is a program for Windows that would allow you to access the Mac in target disk mode. But I'd just do it over the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
Apparently there should be usb or firewire to transfer from pc to mac. But it's expensive.
I can't find them either too. I only saw pc 2 pc or mac 2 mac.
I just use the lan cable or cross cable. It works just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
I need this too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
chouk said:
Apparently there should be usb or firewire to transfer from pc to mac. But it's expensive.
I can't find them either too. I only saw pc 2 pc or mac 2 mac.
I just use the lan cable or cross cable. It works just fine.

Im guessing you are talking about an ethernet cable since that is basically what a crossover cable is. Do you just plug the cable into both machines and wait for it to pop up as a drive and transfer? Ive been wanting to transfer some stuff from my xp machine to my powerbook, and for some reason I cant ever get them to connect to each other on the wireless network again. I got them to connect once, but never again.

If I cant use the cables, I usually just burn stuff on a dvd-rw and transfer it that way. Its slow and painfull, but it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
BTW there are firewire card readers on the market, though they are very expensive. I wouldn't get one unless U are a photographer as your job. USB 2.0 works fine.(Never buy anything USB 1.1 as it is very slow 12mbps compared to USB2's 480MBPS)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
PunkRockTuba said:
Do you just plug the cable into both machines and wait for it to pop up as a drive and transfer? .

Yeah...i only use one ethernet cable and connect both pc and mac. It takes some time for my pc drive to mount on my ibook, but the sharing works.
There are tutorials on the net, and here is mine.
http://www.chouk.co.uk/macsharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think macopener or macopener has a demo that would let you access your mac from the pc using target firewire mode..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 (Dual USB)-500Mhz,320 MB, OSX10.4.7
My iBook is missing the wireless card so I connect it directly to my HP laptop and share the wireless connection on the HP. Once I do that, then any comp on my network can see the shared folders on the Mac with no problem. Just type in the mac's name located in the system preferences/sharing panel. Make sure you have windows sharing enabled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.