windows 7 bootcamp display problem

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 2006 with bootcamp and windows 7/leopard os. The display adapter is an ati radeon x1600. Supposedly, win 7 is not supported on the 2006 MBP, but it is working very well with one exception. when I boot up and after I log into our domain, the screen goes black. I have to do a hard restart and then it comes up fine. I tried different driver versions from win update and bootcamp (using ver 3.1) but the problem persists. Any help or recommendations are appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
When you manage to get into windows 7 use the windows update program to see if there are any updates that could address the issue

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
I did all the updates.

It seems to happen when I turn it on after sitting for a while. I am afraid one of these times I am going to corrupt my windows install.

I don't see any entries in the event viewer either, except for the forced crash.

I did find something on the internet about vmware causing a problem. I have vSphere for managing our servers. Not sure why that would be a problem, but maybe I'll uninstall it and see what happens.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Could be a number of reasons really hard to pinpoint the problem like this.
Let us know how you get on pal
p.s "steveareeno"? is that from american dad? lol

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
My name is steve, but my brother-in-law always calls me steveareeno so it kinda stuck.

I will keep plugging away until I find a solution. I really like this mac even if it is older, and it is one of only a handful in the whole company. They don't buy them unless they are absolutely necessary, not even for me and I am in IT.

Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
follow up

Just wanted to follow up on my problem. The black screen even occurs when I boot into mac os first and then boot into windows.

I also tried an external monitor (I did have it hooked up to an external display previously).

I think I'll try removing all traces of the display drivers so it boots up using vga and see if the problem occurs. Then I'll know its a driver issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.