HP Laserjet not printing on new 10.4.1 installation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
I just made an upgrade to my dual 1.25ghz G4 MDD desktop. I installed an additional, internal drive containing 10.4.11 and a latest version of OS 9. My original drive is still in place, including all software and documents. I used migration assistant to move everything over.

I will erase the original drive at some point and use it as a backup destination. I don't want to do that until I have everything resolved.

My big issue remaining is I can't print from my HP Laserjet 1320. It recognizes the printer, starts the job, and then stops the job. The printer will successfully run a test page.

I have searched for hours and have followed numerous instructions on procedures to try. This includes deleting and re-installing the printer, re-installing the HP driver, and deleting preferences, checking permissions, running disk utility, and also running a piece of software called Fixamac. I also tried a new USB cable.

It told me: The file /private/etc/cups/classes.conf is missing. This file is deleted when using the Reset Printing System option. I am not sure what to do about that. Is it possible to acquire this item again?

I am unemployed and trying to save money, and have been able to make a little money using this computer, but I have to be able to print.

If I buy another printer, will it not work either, for the reason this one does not work? Do I need to buy 10.5 and install that? Would that fix this? Regarding the printer, is there any known problem with the HP 1320?

I need some ideas, please.

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a driver problem. Try the Linux Open Printing driver set found here: LINK

Your LJ 1320 is supported by these drivers. Note that they're for OS X only not Classic. Anyway, be sure to read instructions as there are several files which need to be downloaded and installed. The drivers are free and in my experience work very well for the HP LJ series.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a driver problem. Try the Linux Open Printing driver set found here: LINK

Your LJ 1320 is supported by these drivers. Note that they're for OS X only not Classic. Anyway, be sure to read instructions as there are several files which need to be downloaded and installed. The drivers are free and in my experience work very well for the HP LJ series.

I have downloaded the files and am studying the instructions, given your emphasis. It makes me nervous. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I regret to say that did not fix it. What does that suggest to you?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have also found the original install disc that accompanied the HP printer, using it to install the printer again. It makes no difference.

Reaction score
Does the 1350 have a network connection..have you tried to connect over a in house network.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I regret to say that did not fix it. What does that suggest to you?

Do you have the printer setup to operate in Tiger? Remember, those drivers will not work in Classic....

If you installed the drivers correctly in Tiger and the printer is still giving you problems (stalling) there's not much else I can suggest that will work. I have used those same drivers for my LJ 1012 and they work great so I don't really know what else to tell you.

If it won't work in Tiger, it's not going to work in Leopard either.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have the printer setup to operate in Tiger? Remember, those drivers will not work in Classic....

If you installed the drivers correctly in Tiger and the printer is still giving you problems (stalling) there's not much else I can suggest that will work. I have used those same drivers for my LJ 1012 and they work great so I don't really know what else to tell you.

If it won't work in Tiger, it's not going to work in Leopard either.

Yes, I have it set up to run in Tiger. I rarely use 9, but need it for some archival documents.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.