Factory unlocked Iphone 4 got locked

Reaction score
Hello

I recently bought an phone 4 from a guy that told my that he bought the phone factory unlocked from Portugal. I tried to update the phone to 4.2 with Itunes the phone got locked! I had Cydia and Installer on my phone. Could it be that Apple locked my phone for that reason or do you think that the phone was never factory unlocked in the first place?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you're confusing "unlocked, locked" with "jail broken". Your phone is still unlocked but when you updated it with a new iOS from Apple, you lost the "jail break".

If you're using the iPhone here in the US and it's unlocked, it can be used with any carrier that has GMA (AT&T, T-Mobile). All you need is a SIM card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Also to clarify having owned 2 Factory unlocked iPhones in the past. They will never lock no matter what the phones IMEI number is stored in Apple' servers so when ever you sync,restore or update in iTunes the phone stays unlocked, Regardless of Cydia or any other jailbreak stuff. It sounds like you bought a locked phone that was jailbroken and unlocked via Hack and not by Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.