Adium works for messenger network but the messenger app does not - why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hi,

I have a strange issue. You know the windows messenger chat network? Well for a few weeks now I can't log into it via the official all Messenger for Mac. I just downloaded the latest version. V8 I think it was. And no dice. Just can't log into it.

But on the other hand if I set up Adium to access the messenger network on the same messenger account I can access the network this way just fine.

Why would the same network fail to work for the official app but work just fine through adium? I really don't know why this is the case. if anyone knows please do tell cause I'd really like to fix this issue.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I've done a lot of research on this topic just now. A lot of google searches. And it seems this issue is very wide spread. A lot of people can access the network via Adium and others but not via the MS messenger client. And it seems everyone wants an answer but an answer I yet have not found.

I'll keep looking around to find an answer. And if anyone can shed a little light on this issue I'll be very grateful.

[edit] I found a solution to the issue. SOmeone on a forum said to try something and I did and it worked.

What I did was:
1. Used Appzapper to delete the app + it's prefs.
2. Re-downloaded (latest version) and installed the app.
3. Opened up the app and selected clear account history and clicked yes to that.
4. Quitted and restarted the app and logged in as normal my putting in my username and password.

And after a few logouts/quits and re-logins this fix seems to work. It seems a really basic fix though. Something MS really needs to work on for the release. But it works. So if you can't get messenger to work try this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.