Desktop file won't delete

Reaction score
I was doing some clean up when I noticed on my desktop there is a file. It doesnt show up in finder, but only when i am looking at my desktop. It will not delete or move anywhere. When I tried to delete it a message comes up saying file cannot be deleted. Why is this and how do i get rid of it?

M

MacInWin

Does it have a name? What is the icon? Typically the problem with cannot delete is because the file is in use (although maybe hidden in the background activities).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Along with jake's questions...
Have you re-booted the computer?
Tried Safe Mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, technically, the Desktop is in Finder, as is everything else. Finder is just a program that allows interface with the CPU. I take it that you mean not in any Finder Window.

Can you do Get Info on this file and provide more clues?

OP
R
Reaction score
it was a torrent file.. and after a reboot it has disappeared. i really should have thought of that first. thanks for the help all. though yes, if i looked in the finder window box in the desktop folder there was no file. only when i see the icons on my desktop. but now is all fixed..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.