trouble deciding which mac to buy.

Reaction score
so ill be getting my associates in digital media design. Which will all be done on mac computers. So now i have the problem of choosing which computer to buy. I am between the 15in macbook pro with the 2.4ghz I5 processor,and the mac mini, with the 2.66ghz dual core.
I want the macbook due to the fact that its a notebook and i can take it where ever i want. But from what i know i cant set up the macbook to run a dual external monitor set up.
and i want the mini cause its a cheaper alternative to the mac pro and i can run dual monitors for the extra work space.
If anyone can shed some light on my dilemma, and maybe some of you ex digital media students. like if yall know ill be doing more of my work at home than in school and what not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
The usual wisdom when doing a lot of work with media and images is, "the more power, the better." That rules out the Mini pretty fast, at least it would if I was making the decision.

*hordes of enraged Mini fans in 3... 2... 1...*

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So now i have the problem of choosing which computer to buy. I am between the 15in macbook pro with the 2.4ghz I5 processor,and the mac mini, with the 2.66ghz dual core.
I want the macbook due to the fact that its a notebook and i can take it where ever i want. But from what i know i cant set up the macbook to run a dual external monitor set up.
and i want the mini cause its a cheaper alternative to the mac pro and i can run dual monitors for the extra work space.

Yes the Macbook Pro is more expensive...but then that's the way it is...if you want portability, you have to pay for it

Regarding the monitor question...if you have a Macbook Pro & you plug in an external monitor...BAMM...you have dual monitor setup (the MBP display + the external monitor).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
Like Nick said, hooking the MBP up to an external monitor is really as easy as connecting the cables.

If I had to make the decision I would definitely go with the Macbook Pro, trust me you wont regret it in the future. Besides it is much more powerful than then Mini, I know because I own both of them.

Reaction score
marpres time

I thought about the Macbook Pro for portability - then decided to get the 27" iMac instead. I know I can't take it with me, but with that size screen, a 2nd monitor really isnt an issue - the macbook pro will not be as powerful as an iMac, am I wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought about the Macbook Pro for portability - then decided to get the 27" iMac instead. I know I can't take it with me, but with that size screen, a 2nd monitor really isnt an issue - the macbook pro will not be as powerful as an iMac, am I wrong?

An iMac generally gives you more bang for the buck than other Macs with the exception of the Mac Pro. So yes, your iMac 27" is a very good machine with lots of power. The only disadvantage being is that it's not portable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.