I Tunes library on Nas

Reaction score
I have a mac pro, a macbook pro and a win 7 system.
I want on all systems to have acces to the same music library (with Itunes)
So I would say, I put all my music on a Nas and connect Itunes Libraries to the Nass
However, the macbook goes out the door every weekend for dj applications, so it is needed that the entire music library is copied to the mbp.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sharing your iTunes collection

The following assumes you want to keep all your iTunes music and movies on a shared folder and ensure new music is always stored there, and that you want to share the iTunes library among multiple users

First, you need to consolidate your iTunes Library to a folder you have chosen (let's say External > Media).

Select the command consolidate library from the File Menu > Library > Consolidate Library (or from the Advanced Menu in iTunes 7). This will copy all your iTunes media to the shared folder and link the iTunes library file to it

The files will now be in the folder while the library file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Me > Music folder of your mac.

118lh80.jpg

Copy it to shared Media folder, start iTunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now on the shared drive

2dlon54.jpg

Select the library file you just copied and now both your music and the library are on the external

Press the alt key in any other accounts to get iTunes to see the library file, now both users are using the same index. Make sure both Users itunes have the same location for the music folder set in their advanced preferences.

Also make sure that all users have read and write privileges for the folder and the library file

x25sb7.jpg

16lbwd5.jpg

You can use the alt key at start-up trick to link itunes back to a local folder when you are on the move, when you need mobile access to a smaller iTunes library on your own mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.