Seagate momentus XT in 15" MacBook Pro funny noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 500GB 4GB, iPhone 3GS, 160GB Classic, 40GB ATV, 16GB iPad WiFi
So I installed this 500GB seagate momentus xt last weekend and im starting to maybe regret it...

Every once in a while it will make a little whining noise then you can hear it stop spinning.

Is this a known problem with any HD or are these XT's just garbage?

Thanks

- Mike

Reaction score
what other experiences have you had with the drive xt? im actually thinking about upgrading to this tomorrow, and would like to know users experience ..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Other than the random whining noise, its perfect. Super fast boot. About 21 seconds (2.4Ghz 4Gb MBP C2D). Runs great other than what was described...

I got a 1 year warranty on it through Fry's though

Reaction score
im not really sure if upgrading to these, what do you think of the effects on battery life, vibrance, and noise?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine is pretty much silent, havent seen a decrease in battery life either. The temp seems good and it runs pretty smooth. Also I read, seagate warranties it for 5 years free of charge

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont know if you have ever heard an iPod make this noise, I have a 160Gb iPod classic and it makes the same noise every once in a while but it has worked good the past 6 months ive had it. So I am not to sure what it could be. Maybe just normal for this drive or just my machine. Oh well! Not gonna worry about it

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I installed it on Sunday, so about 3 days now

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would advise you to do some extensive searching with Google to find out what others think about the Seagate Momentus XT. That particular drive is a hybrid and has been the topic of some controversial issues that users are having with it. See the Apple Discussion Forums.

Check it out.

Reaction score
So I installed this 500GB seagate momentus xt last weekend and im starting to maybe regret it...

Every once in a while it will make a little whining noise then you can hear it stop spinning.

Thanks

- Mike

I just bought one yesterday, and tonight it started making the exact sound you describe and stopped spinning. Has it persisted? What became of your drive?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
The problem you all are describing is an internal type of powersavemode this drive has. Really irritating, I have tried it myself. And there is no obvious way to turn it off. And firmware upgrades doesnt help. However theres a free tool for fixing this problem.

Get it here: How To Fix The Seagate Momentus XT Beachballing in OSX

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for the link strukt. Count me as one of those not happy with this drive at all. (and that's being nice about it) When you can't even type in the search field of your browser without the thing beachballing... need I say more?

I already have a WD black 500GB drive sitting here waiting to replace this Seagate.
Will give hdapm a try. Will also experiment battery life before and after installing hdapm and post results back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

Thanks

- Mike

Sounds like a defect. Where did you buy it from? Contact them for a replacement. I have two 500gb XT's, and neither of them make any "whining noise." One of them is in my mbp, the other is in an external enclosure. They are a bit louder than the regular 5400rpm drive though.

On a side note, it is very stressing to read so many negative things about this drive. It makes me cringe at the fact that I have two of them, and so many people have problems with them...makes me knock on this wooden desk to the point that one day it will be indented with my knuckles. They are an expensive drive for the amount of problem we keep on hearing.

I just keep up to these threads to know if anything new is up:
New FW version for XT released
If you have problems with your XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.