Trouble with a Card Reader

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm getting a little frustrated trying to upload some photos right now. I've got Macbook version 10.5.8 and I am using a Sony multi-card reader to upload photos since I do not have the camera's usb handy. Previously I have had no trouble uploading photos from my 2gb SD card, but now that I am attempting this with a 4gb memory card the device is not even registering on the computer. I'm having a hard time believing that it is a problem with the card size, because wouldn't the device at least appear as being active regardless o the size? I have tried it in both usb ports which are both functional and the green light comes on indicating that it is receiving power. Anyway, I'm stumped so any help that anyone can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Some of the older card readers have trouble with the newer, high capacity SD cards, unfortunately.

I have a Griffin 3-in-1 card reader that absolutely will not read my 4GB card. It has no trouble with my smaller cards.

Make sure that your next card reader has SDHC capability.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks or the reply, but is that it? I'm just out of luck with my current hardware set-up? There is no alternative fix for this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've bought new card readers for as little as $3 including shipping at Amazon.

Example.

You'll find many more there. You can typically find them locally for $10-$20.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks or the reply, but is that it? I'm just out of luck with my current hardware set-up? There is no alternative fix for this?

Yep. SDHC cards use a slightly different standard for reading and some of the older card readers are not compatible. As bobtomay said, they're pretty much a dime-a-dozen, just make sure it specifically states that it's SDHC compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.