Whats up with all the powerbook problems?

Reaction score
Since I made my switch from PC's, I've been expecting a reliable computer without all the negative effects of the windows platforms. However, by the looks of this forum, everyone has one problem or another with their computer. I'm very upset, as within two weeks of owning my computer I had a ram bank failure (so only one bank slot was working). Recently I sent the comp in, and have been waiting for my computer for about 2-3 weeks now.

Looks like apple needs to shape up their current designs rather than always trying to create new stuff.

Any input guys? Don't you think it's ridiculous that the whole forum is all about problems with the powerbooks?

Oleg

S

sursuciofla

Most people without problems don't go to the forum, it's usually people with the problems looking for help. Hence the many posts of problems. I thought the same when I first came to the forum too but that was pointed out to me.

Reaction score
Myself being the lurker I am, I haven't ever had a problem with my PB.. I just like to watch and learn. No machine is perfect, not even a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
jram said:
No machine is perfect, not even a Mac.

Exactly. No computer or OS is is infallible. If it appears that the forum is overrun with threads about problems, well, that is one of the main reasons it is here. This forum is a good reference for those who are having difficulty, and need an answer. It is more than just a place to discuss things, but a place for support and advice. It sucks that you had a problem with your PowerBook, but Apple is very good about correcting problems. Hopefully all turns up well for you. Let us know how it goes for you when you receive it back. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
have to say that since i got my PB ive had nothing buy joy and i know that there are many many more like me so i think that your just having a spot of bad luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15", iphone 2, 4, powerbook G4 12", powermac G4 (agp graphics)
yeah...maybe you got a lemon. you never know these days but as far as performance and getting viruses and all that other drama, my mac creates less stress on me than my pc does. I have both and I find myself on the mac more. And most forums are available for users to discuss problems and/or talk about the latest and the greatest....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
sursuciofla said:
Most people without problems don't go to the forum, it's usually people with the problems looking for help.
Tell me about it. Last time I was at the Toyota shop, every single car there needed repairs. Every one! I don't see how Toyota can get away with making cars that have so many problems. :mac:

D

dackerman

My PB has been nothing but heaven for 2 months. No complaints.

You should see the Dell/Compaq/IBM forums.

B

Bmw M Power05

My friend got me to make the switch and ive been impressed my PowerBook ever since. I should have switched sooner...

B

BrianH

technologist said:
Tell me about it. Last time I was at the Toyota shop, every single car there needed repairs. Every one! I don't see how Toyota can get away with making cars that have so many problems. :mac:

Thats a great way of putting it. I'm sure we could start a running list of users here that love their PB's and dont have the problems as frequent as they appear on the board.

LIST:
1. Me

Reaction score
technologist said:
Tell me about it. Last time I was at the Toyota shop, every single car there needed repairs. Every one! I don't see how Toyota can get away with making cars that have so many problems.
I'm sensing a tad bit of sarcasm, at least I'm hoping... haha. My username should speak for itself of why I hope dearly there was sarcasm there. :mac: Have a good day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
TOYOTA said:
I'm sensing a tad bit of sarcasm, at least I'm hoping... haha. My username should speak for itself of why I hope dearly there was sarcasm there. :mac: Have a good day!
Yeah, that was pure sarcasm. :mac: I used Toyota because of their reputation for reliability. Of course, if you ever want to meet people who hate $PRODUCT, hang out at a repair shop specializing in $PRODUCT.

OP
C
Reaction score
It's understandable that people go to forums for help, but I just figured it would be more of the software or how to help, rather than hardware failure and such. I was very happy with my mac until I sent it in, but now I'm just ranting because I want it back :)

Oleg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.