• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

i5 imac/4GB RAM vs. i7 imac/8GB RAM for final cut pro

Reaction score
I am purchasing my first mac computer. The main use of the computer will be to use final cut pro for video editing of hdv. I am debating between the imac quad-core, 2.8GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, which is in stock with my local apple dealer and can be picked up right away, or upgrading to the 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 8 GB RAM. This is a custom order and will take about 2 weeks to deliver.
I am new to both final cut and mac so I am not really sure if the upgrade is needed. I am told that the i7 processor runs about 27% faster than the i5 and I could save quite a bit of time 'processing' the video with the i7. However, someone else had told me that i5 imac with 4 GB RAM is more than adequate to run final cut pro, so I wonder if the upgrade really makes a difference.
Is it worth the extra cost and waiting time for delivery (2 weeks) for the upgrade to the i7 processor and/or 8 GB RAM? Is there any appreciable difference in time running final cut pro on an i5 imac with 4GB RAM vs. i7 imac with 8GB RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2
I couldn't give a direct comparison between those 2 Macs I'm afraid. But I've got an iMac 2.66GHz Core 2 duo with 4GB RAM (see profile) and have used final cut studio on it. There hasn't been much lag at all to be honest. But I'd say having an i5 quad core processor at 2.8 GHz is more than sufficient. I haven't had bad lag at all with mine. So quad core should have no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I've used Final Cut Pro on my MacBook Pro 15" Core2Duo 2.8GHz with 4GB RAM and even this dosn't give much lag if any most times

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.