Repair Startup Disk?

Reaction score
I've just installed the latest version of Onyx, and it has suggested that I repair the startup disk for Snow Leopard by inserting the installation cd, and navigating to utilities and then disk utility. I occasionally engage "repair disk permissions" from the disk utility that is already installed on the computer. Note that I'm not experiencing any particular problems with my Mac Pro tower computer at the moment, I'm just going by the Onyx message.

What do you think? Is the Onyx message good advice?
Thanks for any tips.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you think? Is the Onyx message good advice?

Yes. Use your startup DVD and run a verify and repair from Disk Utility. If you have other software (Disk Warrior for example) you can use that instead.

OP
S
Reaction score
I haven't done this before, and I don't think I did it right, but here is a description of what I did.

I inserted the Mac OS Install DVD, and highlighted it in the Disk Utility window.
But when I do this, the "Verify Disk Permissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons are greyed out and inacessible.

What did I do wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
No... you need to boot from the install DVD holding C as soon as you here the start up chime until the spinning wheel starts.
From there, you will choose the language.
Next screen will pop up, and a menu bar will pop up after a few seconds.
From there, go to Utilities>disk utility in the menu.
Select your HD and then click the verify and repair.

Once you are done, quit disk utility, quit installer, and startup from your startup disk (HD).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.