Hard Drive Failure, What to do next?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been a happy mac user for a year or so now and I must say I don't think I'll ever go back to Windows. I have a MacBook Intel C2D, and I upgraded my hard drive last xmas to 500GB (Hitachi Apple logo), unfortunately last night my hard drive went kaputt, or at least that's what I believe, lots of grinding metal sounds followed by screen freezing, then on reboot just a white screen.

Anyway, I still had my original 80GB hard drive, so I've put that one in, but all that happens is the apple logo appears, then turns to a forbidden symbol (no smoking style), then what looks like a folder with a question mark on. All these flicker on and off rapidly after each other in a seemingly random pattern. I'm not sure what I should do next as I don't have a Mac OS disc.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you all in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure what I should do next as I don't have a Mac OS disc.

The obvious answer is that you need to buy a replacement DVD set in order to do any kind of trouble shooting. Without disks, you can do nothing. Contact Apple for a replacement set.

Also, it sounds like you have two defective HDs - a 500 GB and the original that came with your machine. Since you recently purchased (last Xmas) the 500 GB drive, it should still be under warranty. Get in touch with the manufacturer's support and ask for a RMA. They should send you a new replacement drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.