Constant crashes and kernel panics after update

Reaction score
Hi

I was using a MBP with Snow Leopard for last few years - recently I bought new MBP and used most recent TimeMachine backup to recreate my work space on the new mac (freshly from the shop). Everything went fine for a week - until I decided it's time to update the system. After updating Snow Leopard to version 10.6.4 two things started to happen:
- all the apps are crashing randomly (it could be any application - Safari, Firefox, Photoshop, iTunes - you name it). All the crash raports have "Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread" information.
- there are kernel panic screen from time to time, where I need to reboot the whole system.

I searched the forums and boards and so far tried:
- deleting all InputManagers from my Library
- fixing permissions using Disk Utility
- creating new user account
- turning off the file sharing
- doing the memory tests (with Remeber app and by using Install Dvd and pressing D during start-up). Both test didn't show anything

Well - the only thing I didn't tried yet is to reinstall the whole system, but I was wondering if you know any other possible solution to the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Try running the 10.6.4 Combo updater from Apple's site to see if that fixes it.

OP
B
Reaction score
I also tried going into safe mode and restarting from there - didn't helped.
I think I'll go for the re-install.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the combo update didn't help, then your best solution at least for now is a complete reinstall. Also best to reinstall the apps as well. Data and documents can be restored from backup as they should be OK.

OP
B
Reaction score
I did reinstall the system (leaving my user folder) - it didn't solve the problem (so it's not really 10.6.4 issue as I have 10.6.3 right now). And that's not the problem with my user setting - as the same problem occurs on another user account. Any ideas what might cause the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Probably a hardware issue. It's best to take it in to have someone look at it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a quick question for you. Did you add any RAM recently to the MBP?

If no, I agree with Schweb, take it in to Apple and show them what it's doing.

OP
B
Reaction score
Just a quick question for you. Did you add any RAM recently to the MBP?

If no, I agree with Schweb, take it in to Apple and show them what it's doing.

I bought it a week ago - and yes, the RAM was upgraded by the reseller.
I tried clean install today (erase the disk and run the installer), but the installer itself crashed three times.
I figure out that this must be hardware problem and send the mac to reseller for them to check it.
I'll update this thread when I'll get any feedback from them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this reseller a certified Apple store? If not maybe the RAM is the issue. Sure sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.