Is this Apple's standard policy for refurbished products?

Reaction score
Hi all,

In december 2007 I bought a refurbished macbook pro from the online Apple store in Spain. I was pleasantly surprised that the machine was scratchless when it arrived, it looked brand new, and I haven't had any real problems with it until this weekend when the screen started freezing and mac os x kept on quitting.
I decided to reboot the mac for the first time ever, as I had most of my stuff backed up with time machine. I installed both discs that came with the mac and after updating the software over the course of the day, I realised that I wasn't going to update all the way to mac os x 10.5!
The mac I received came pre-installed with Leopard (I suppose this was installed when it was refurbished) but the installation discs were Tiger, from when the mac first left the factory!
I have spoken to Apple support here in Spain and they say that as the machine originally came with Tiger the only thing I can do is buy a copy of Leopard, otherwise they can't help!
It doesn't seem right, I don't see why I should pay twice for software that I've been using up until now, wasn't it paid for when I bought the machine. If I am only entitled to Tiger, then why was Leopard installed?
I'm left speechless, I can't access my files on my external hard drive because Time machine doesn't exist on Tiger and I'm left with a really bad taste in my mouth with Apple's lack of support.
What do I do now??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Hi all,

In december 2007 I bought a refurbished macbook pro from the online Apple store in Spain. I was pleasantly surprised that the machine was scratchless when it arrived, it looked brand new, and I haven't had any real problems with it until this weekend when the screen started freezing and mac os x kept on quitting.
I decided to reboot the mac for the first time ever, as I had most of my stuff backed up with time machine. I installed both discs that came with the mac and after updating the software over the course of the day, I realised that I wasn't going to update all the way to mac os x 10.5!
The mac I received came pre-installed with Leopard (I suppose this was installed when it was refurbished) but the installation discs were Tiger, from when the mac first left the factory!
I have spoken to Apple support here in Spain and they say that as the machine originally came with Tiger the only thing I can do is buy a copy of Leopard, otherwise they can't help!
It doesn't seem right, I don't see why I should pay twice for software that I've been using up until now, wasn't it paid for when I bought the machine. If I am only entitled to Tiger, then why was Leopard installed?
I'm left speechless, I can't access my files on my external hard drive because Time machine doesn't exist on Tiger and I'm left with a really bad taste in my mouth with Apple's lack of support.
What do I do now??

thats very strange indeed. I would just cough up the 20$ and pay for leopard. I know that sounds bad and that apple could've made a mistake but unless it was recorded as to what was packed into your refurb model (mine was refurb and I got Leopard discs) it seems your out of luck. I'd just bite the bullet if your information is worth that much to you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, you didn't pay for it. You bought a refurb machine that originally shipped with Tiger. You got a free upgrade, probably because the original purchaser had put Leopard on it.

I've seen reports of some purchasers getting 4 GB of RAM instead of 2GB and others getting 320 GB hard drives instead of the 120 GB drive that was listed as coming with the refurb. All due to the original owner upgrading the machine and leaving the upgrade sitting there when it was returned and then Apple not removing those upgrades.

You got a free 3 yr use of Leopard without having to pay for it - it's a pitr I know, but, it's time now to upgrade to Snow Leopard - it's cheap, grab yourself a copy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I have a copy to spare if you'd like it for a cheap price? Make me an offer on what you think is fair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Shouldn't you have noticed this difference between os's when you first got it? I mean, it's been 3 years!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all,

What do I do now??

I'm really not sure I can have a lot of sympathy for you in this case. 3 years have gone by and NOW you figure all of this out!!! I know some folks are blissfully able to enjoy life not paying attention to the details...but come on...3 years!

That's like driving your automobile for 3 years never changing the oil...and then complaining when you have an engine problem!;)

By the way...not rebooting your MBP for 3 years is a bit excessive as well!

As already suggested...the upgrade to 10.6 is very inexpensive...go for it!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Shouldn't you have noticed this difference between os's when you first got it? I mean, it's been 3 years!

You beat me to it.;) 3 years...jeez!!!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
By the way...not rebooting your MBP for 3 years is a bit excessive as well!

By reboot he didn't mean restarting the computer, he meant starting over from scratch. He discovered his little "problem" when he went to reinstall his OS.

OP
P
Reaction score
bobtomay
"No, you didn't pay for it. You bought a refurb machine that originally shipped with Tiger. You got a free upgrade, probably because the original purchaser had put Leopard on it."
I thought refurb machines were ex-demo and had never been out of Apple's hands, even then, when replacing any parts you'd expect them to make sure the install discs matched the pre-installed version, whether it be Tiger or Leopard.

idrinorbarsaku
"Shouldn't you have noticed this difference between os's when you first got it? I mean, it's been 3 years!"
Why would i have noticed? I took the mbp out of the box and it was ready to go. I assumed the discs would be the same version as the one installed and put them in a safe place.

I'm not even looking to install v.6, I'd be very happy to have v.5 again.

Anyway, the consensus here is that I was lucky to have v.5 for three years, and that I should bite the bullet and purchase Leopard which I was told I could buy for €170.00 about $230.00.
That, in effect, cancels out the saving of buying a refurbished machine!

Thank you all for your input,

Yan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nope, don't believe anyone said to buy Leopard... said to buy Snow Leopard.

You can get the Box set of Snow Leopard, iLife 11 that just came out last week and iWork for 129,00 € - link.

Or Snow Leopard only for 30,00 € - link.

Either package will cost you exactly the same amount whether you have Tiger or Leopard on your machine right now. So, in essence, you get to skip the whole purchase Leopard step.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay, that's good to know, definitely not worth getting wound up for €30!
By the way, it was the last person I spoke to at Apple care that quoted the €170.
Still having problems with the screen freezing with a solarized kind of effect, and not being able to force quit, so back to square one, but at least now I know once that's fixed I can have another trouble free 3 years.

One last question, should I be rebooting occasionally? A couple of people were horrified that i hadn't.

Cheers

Yan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
One last question, should I be rebooting occasionally? A couple of people were horrified that i hadn't.

Cheers

Yan

Not "horrified". Just surprised the occasion never came up. Some software updates require a restart and almost everyone occasionally runs Disk Utility to Verify Permissions on their drive when things get a little out of whack. It's just maintenance.
If your MB runs fine, there's never any need to restart or shut down. I always just let mine sleep when I'm not using. Only time I ever turn it off is when transporting it on vacation or putting it in a messenger bag to take to the coffee shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Papiyan, no, you should learn the proper terminology. Rebooting means restarting your computer. Going through the boot process again. Powering down, then powering on.

Restoring your computer, as in installing the operating system again, that's a different story all together, and what you're talking about here.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing, have you tried opening the TM backup in Finder?

Darkest has it right pertaining to your so-called "re-booting".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
not worth getting for €30?? Its probably the best €30 you'll ever spend personally. thats like an hour of pay. 10.5 is by far obsolete compaired to 10.6. Was the best switch ever made. Its not a pc where windows has 80 different versions ranging from 120-600 bucks here. Theres 2 versions. Server and SL 10.6 thats it. You get it all for €30 for the regular SL 10.6. here i paid $20 cdn for it brand new from the apple store.

Thanks bobtomay, that's good to know, definitely not worth getting wound up for €30!
By the way, it was the last person I spoke to at Apple care that quoted the €170.
Still having problems with the screen freezing with a solarized kind of effect, and not being able to force quit, so back to square one, but at least now I know once that's fixed I can have another trouble free 3 years.

Cheers

Yan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just happened to think about this - the screen freezing in the manner you're describing could be the video card. Apple has extended the warranty to 4 years on the nVidia cards in those '07 MBPs.

Here is the Apple page - link.

Don't know if you have an Apple store there in Spain, but I'd take it in if you do, or give Apple a call. We've seen quite a few members have the logic board replaced for free.

OP
P
Reaction score
I took the mbp to the local Apple reseller who'll give me a diagnostic in a couple of days, from what I explained he thought it could be the screen that needs replacing (700€) or the hard drive.
bobtomay, thanks for the link, it does sound like what's happening to the screen, fingers crossed!
As for updating to Snow Leopard, I enquired and the reseller also quoted 170€, so it sounds like I don't get to skip the Leopard purchase step.

Yan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't ask them. I think they're trying to sell you a copy of Leopard - which those folks that have the older PPC Macs must use because SL will not work for them. Therefore, the price for it remains high.

Tell them what you want - a copy of Snow Leopard, not Leopard. Or just order it online and bypass the store altogether since you can get the box set with the new iLife and iWork for 129€.

You can run a test yourself to see what's causing the video issue also. Try taking a screen shot while it's messed up. If it won't take a screen shot because the machine is locked up, or if the screen shot is messed up, good chance it's the video card. If the screen shot looks ok, then it's probably the LCD.

OP
P
Reaction score
ok,
just picked up the mbp from the apple reseller and the diagnosis is that it needs a new logic board, the Nvidia passed the test however. They quoted €991 to replace the logic board.
Is it worth contacting apple support? It doesn't seem like it falls into the 4 yr extended warranty scenario that you mentioned bobtomay.
I expected a €2000 investment to last longer than 34 months.........

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok,
just picked up the mbp from the apple reseller and the diagnosis is that it needs a new logic board, the Nvidia passed the test however. They quoted €991 to replace the logic board.
Is it worth contacting apple support? It doesn't seem like it falls into the 4 yr extended warranty scenario that you mentioned bobtomay.
I expected a €2000 investment to last longer than 34 months.........

From your description in the first post, it is possible the issue stems from something other than the video card. But personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of money or write the unit off without a 2nd opinion. I'd probably give them a call, say that it is displaying an issue that Apple describes as being due to the video card failing for which they've extended the warranty and see where it goes. At that kind of money they're quoting to fix it, it's certainly worth at least another phone call.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.