Am I paying too much for broadband?

Reaction score
I am with supanet and pay £21.00 a month 25gig download a month speed 8mb, some others offering much less for broadband at better speeds/downloads. Am I paying too much?

Many thanks
Sam

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That comes out to ~ 33.01 USD. You mentioned that there are other ISP that offer better speeds for less...so I can only speculate. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, I pay about double that but no download or upload cap and get an average speed of 27Mbps via wifi. So of course I'm going to say that sure, you could be doing better, but that's all relative to which services are available to you.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2
It very much depends where you live. I'm with BT and paying for unlimited downloads "subject to fair usage", which basically translates as 100 GB, 20 Mbps down, up to 1 Mbps up. I get around 4 Mbps. But switching won't give me any benefit whatsoever as our nearest exchange is about 2 miles away. And apparently fibre-optic would only yield a maximum of 15 Mbps where we live anyway.

So I'm paying for 20 Mbps and getting 20 percent of that. If you're actually getting 8 Mbps or close I don't see why you should change :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
We pay $35u.s. for a 6Mbps connection but I only get about 3-3.5 on average(when I do tests). Where I live, Cox Communications and AT&T have a monopoly on internet....(I'm screaming and cursing at them deep inside)....

The AT&T 2Wire modems are complete garbage!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2
You're with at&t? oh dear I do feel sorry for you. I used to constantly be frustrated with bt til i last visited the states and learnt what awful service at&t give. now back here i'm almost the docile customer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It's not that it's bad, but the fact that the neighbor behind my house has service for verizon fios with 15/15 up/down for only 5 bucks more than what I pay, and I can't get it, is what allows this frustrates to set in me.

Reaction score
We could be doing broadband over power lines here in the states and it would be cheap..cheap..but the fat cats will never let it happen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not that it's bad, but the fact that the neighbor behind my house has service for verizon fios with 15/15 up/down for only 5 bucks more than what I pay, and I can't get it, is what allows this frustrates to set in me.

Why can't you get Verizon FIOS if it's available behind your house? I know some years back when Verizon was installing the first fiber optic cabling throughout the local metroplex areas here in Fort Worth and Dallas, they went about from community to community to get permission to do the digging.

The only areas that don't have it yet are those which sprung up after the initial cabling was done. But generally Verizon has been very diligent on getting it to the newer areas as soon as they can. Maybe it's because the competition around here is fierce. We have 6 or 7 broadband providers in the area.

I've got both their FIOS broadband and FIOS TV as a package. Together it runs around $109 /month including all the local and federal taxes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.