OS X Keeps going back to Login

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here, I searched online and did the whole deleting Library/Caches Servies/com.apple/LaunchServices* thing with single user mode and my login loop problem still exists. I did in fact drop my MacBook from about 3 ft a couple weeks ago. After I dropped the MacBook, the first reboot after that drop took REALLY long but after it rebooted it was fine and was working fast again. I did several Disk Utility checks on my hard drive without finding any issues. My DVD Superdrive however is broken from the drop.

As for right now, when I boot up and wait for it to go to the Login Screen, I type in my password and it shows my wallpaper. My mouse has that round colorfulwheel thinking thing, my dock doesn't show up and nothing shows up on the desktop besides the wallpaper. After about 10-15 seconds it turns blue and goes back to the login screen.

Does anyone else have this problem and deleting launchservices doesnt help?
Is this problem vindictive of a failing hard drive due to the drop? If so, would I be able to retain all my files from my old HD and move it to the new one?

Winston

OP
D
Reaction score
In addition to the above, last night my macbook was working fine until I had a pop up this morning saying to reboot in order to install update. The moment I clicked reboot and entered my password, all these problems started happening. I was wondering if this could be part of the problem.

Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I would start the troubleshooting with rehousing the RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
D
Reaction score
ok, i'll keep you updated, i have the same problems in safe mode as well. When I log on with safe mode it goes back to the login screen just the same.

OP
D
Reaction score
So weird, it miraculously started working again after a whole day of trying things :p Didn't even get a chance to take the ram out :p thanks so much!

OP
D
Reaction score
Weird, my OS is up but every time I try to use commands like copy, cut, paste the colorful wheel comes back up and it just thinks for a while then closes the folder. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like it could be the HD, but I'd rule out the RAM first by rehousing it.
Also, you can run a hardware test from your original install disc (the one that says Apple Hardware test in small print) by booting holding D while you boot, but the hardware test rarely spots the problems which are intermittent.
Also, booting from your other install disc holding C while booting (the OS X installation disc) you can verify and repair the HD.
To do that, select the language, then in the menu bar go to Utilities>disk utility, select your HD, and click verify, and if needed, repair disk.
Before doing anything though, I would back up your HD onto an external HD.

OP
D
Reaction score
6-String,

I backed up all the important files to an external HD. I did a SMART disk utility and it says that my HD is failing. Does this mean that I have to replace the HD or can I reformat and reinstall my OS? My DVD drive is out as well so it would be hard to reinstall without fixing that first right? How do I make a start up disk on a MAC?

Thanks so much,
Winston

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Means it is failing as SMART Status rarely makes an error. No hard drive and no optical drive? You do not make a startup disc you need the original system discs, what ever that may have been. That drop perhaps has damaged the logic board as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
What's a logic board?

So I am trying to back up my drive using super duper and an external hd via firewire, but whenever it gets close to finish my mac forces me to restart it not letting me finish. Is there any other way to back up my drive as bootable? Maybe through single user mode?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.