Download kills internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 in Screen
Hi all, got a weird issue.

Got a PC desktop, connected to a Netgear WGT624 supplying virgin BB via a Home 120 Modem, the latency is 32ms and speed is approx 8.6Mbps, tried on several servers too. with consistent results. Desktop is connected via ethernet cable cat 5e. Internet works fine.

friend has a macbook and can connect wirelessly no problem, internet speed is good, but it does sometimes drop connection.

The main issue however is when the mac is attempting to download; and in this particular instance it is the Microsoft Office 2008 trial from Mactopia, this results in a steady reduction of download speed finally ending with failure, it also kills the internet for both the PC and Mac, no lights on both the router and the modem go out to suggest connection failure. The only way to restore internet is to reboot the router,

I have tried downloading the same file on the PC and did it easily with no loss of internet connection. I have checked cables changing the cable from the modem to the router just to make sure but I know everything is working as it should, I have checked the router config and have the latest firmware, even went as far as looking to see if I could upgrade it with the DD-WRT firmware - I've even swapped to a Belkin F5D8230-4 although I'm not a fan of Belkin routers but it supplied wireless internet as it should but still did the same thing, tested network card, changed cables just to be sure nothing was faulty, pinged until I'm blue in the face i.e. ping 127.0.0.1, ping router, ping network card, ping google using IP and name, this is very puzzling.

It all seems to point to the Macbook being at fault, or not being able to chat nicely with the PC setup.

any help is gratefully received.

OP
darkan9el
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 in Screen
Ok Hi all, I eventually fixed this issue by updating the router with a firmware meant for the North America not the UK.

As it was, the system network was useless so I decided it was worth a try... lo and behold it worked ;D as soon as Id rebooted the router, everything connected and all PC's had internet access without error.

This is the firmware I used.
WGT624v3 Firmware Version 2.0.26_1.01 NA

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nice fix - that would have been a tough for anyone to suggest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.