All applications are at / not /Users/myuser

Reaction score
Hello...

Just noticed that my applications folder is at / instead of /Users/myuser/

Might have something to do with this had migration from an older Mac. But that was a year ago so I can't say for sure, just noticing it now.

Anything I can do to move them to where they belong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Most applications are self-contained unlike windows, so you should be able to drag them straight over to /users/yourusername/Applications

- Simon

OP
opus_az
Reaction score
Seems like there must be a setting somewhere for my user saying where Applications is. For instance when installing apps that open a window and ask to drag the icon over to another icon for Applications, it must know where Applications is, right?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
applications location:
/
that is normal.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can have Applications folders in both the root directory (/) and your home directory (~ or /Users/<username>). Most applications are installed to the root directory but some are installed in the home directory one. For example, Steam installed the app bundle for Civ4 to my home directory Applications folder. Every other app bundle is in the root directory Applications folder.

OP
opus_az
Reaction score
Thanks all. Guess I got flummoxed dragging ~/Applications to the dock and finding it empty. Thought something was wrong when in fact everything's normal and I dragged the wrong folder to the dock.

Thanks again!!!

queue Gilda Radner "nevermind". :) :) :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And the reason for that is so that all the users on the computer will have access to those applications.

Any applications you put in "your user / Applications" would not be available to any other user on the machine.

edit: It comes in handy for troubleshooting if you're having problems with an app, you can log into another user account and see if the problem exists there. This allows you to somewhat determine if it's something wrong with a user account or the system.

OP
opus_az
Reaction score
Yeah, all makes perfect sense now, and I should have figured that out. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.