Classic not supported by Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Snow Leopard and MS Excel and Words

I transferred my old mac to my mac mini 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3. When I try to open my Words docs and Excel spreadsheets, I get the message "Classic not supported". What are my options? Did not get any results when I included 'classic' in the search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What version of Office and have you installed Rosetta?

You may have to do a clean Office install and then authenticate using a key code. Some larger applications such as Office and various Adobe software dies not transfer or migrate that well.

OP
B
Reaction score
it is office 2001, when I bought my first mac, and it migrated from my g4 to my g5. I just moved it from my g5 hard drive to the mini mac.

I prompted to install Rosetta, and then nothing happened. It asked me if I wanted to convert to something I did not recognize so I said 'no'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Pop in the discs that came with your Mini and install the Rosetta software. Should be under optional installs.

OP
B
Reaction score
"Classic not supported by Snow Leopard"

not that I really care, but dang it, I have MS Word and Excel that I use for docs and spreadsheets, and really need to work on, like yesterday. If I had known this wasn't going to carry over, I may not have gotten a new computer. Or I may not have gotten a new mac. Hate to say I'd leave the camp, but I have to be able to do MS or else. I do not want to have to run windows.

So what do users of MS Excel and Words have to do to use them on Snow Leopard?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are running a sufficiently old versio of MS Excel/Word..then you might find that OpenOffice for Mac might be able to do what you need..

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
BTW merged your threads, please do not start multiple threads on the same topic. I also moved them to the correct forum, please read the descriptions before posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
"Classic not supported by Snow Leopard"

not that I really care, but dang it, I have MS Word and Excel that I use for docs and spreadsheets, and really need to work on, like yesterday. If I had known this wasn't going to carry over, I may not have gotten a new computer. Or I may not have gotten a new mac. Hate to say I'd leave the camp, but I have to be able to do MS or else. I do not want to have to run windows.

So what do users of MS Excel and Words have to do to use them on Snow Leopard?

Sounds like you should have done your homework a bit better before opening your wallet.

I use both Leopard and Snow Leopard on my Machines and own copies of both Office 2004 and 2008.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that I know that we're talking about Office 2001 (multiple threads)...yes Rosetta won't solve the problem. Rosetta is a program to run PPC applications with Macintosh computers with an Intel cpu.

"Classic" (support dropped with OS 10.5)...is a program to run applications that can't run under Mac OS X (any version)...and generally speaking were a Mac OS 9 application. If you REALLY need to use Office 2001...purchase a used Mac & don't run anything newer than OS 10.4.

In case you didn't notice..."classic" support was dropped with the release of OS 10.5 Leopard. 10.5 Leopard was released in October, 2007...so "classic" support has not been supported for the last 3 years...so you REALLY should not have been surprised when you tried to run Office 2001 on your Intel Mac-mini running OS 10.6.

- Nick

C

chas_m

It wasn't a matter of not doing his homework as much as not being such a cheapskate and upgrading office before his copy's tenth anniversary!

IOW: Dude, your copy of Office was new when George W. Bush was selected President. Go out, buy the CURRENT version of office (2008 or 2011 if available), take some time to update yourself to the changes, and forge onwards.

OP
B
Reaction score
It wasn't a matter of not doing his homework as much as not being such a cheapskate and upgrading office before his copy's tenth anniversary!

IOW: Dude, your copy of Office was new when George W. Bush was selected President. Go out, buy the CURRENT version of office (2008 or 2011 if available), take some time to update yourself to the changes, and forge onwards.

LOL. I went out last night and dusted off the CC and got a copy of Works 2008, specifically to get the free update next year. Didn't read this post until today. I totally cop mea culpa to being a cheapskate. It's that scottish great-great-grandparent, I tells ya, always making me pick up pennies when I see them.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL. I went out last night and dusted off the CC and got a copy of Works 2008, specifically to get the free update next year. Didn't read this post until today. I totally cop mea culpa to being a cheapskate. It's that scottish great-great-grandparent, I tells ya, always making me pick up pennies when I see them.

Well, you may have "outdid" yourself again... because Apple does not give a price discount or a free copy of iWork as an upgrade. There is no such thing as an upgrade (with regard to price) for iWork. But iWork08 is a nice suite and should be OK. You might also try the latest version of Open Office (it's free).

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, you may have "outdid" yourself again... because Apple does not give a price discount or a free copy of iWork as an upgrade. There is no such thing as an upgrade (with regard to price) for iWork. But iWork08 is a nice suite and should be OK. You might also try the latest version of Open Office (it's free).

sorry, if I may clarify, I meant MS Works 2008, which if purchased at authorized apple dealer gets you the 2011 upgrade no charge. Got email alert today that 2011 is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think you mean Office, not Works, there is no Works for Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.