Help with TC and 2wire modem/router

Reaction score
I have a Telus 2wire modem router combo unit that works perfectly. I purchased a 1TB TC today as part of the "mac-ification" of the computers in my house.

My plan is to share a printer and the internal TC hard drive across the network wirelessly. Then gradually replace the PCs with Macs.

So far I have tried the following with no success:

1. connecting the TC directly to my PC. The PC airport utility recognizes it and I am selecting connect to an existing wireless network, providing the settings. When the TC restarts it cannot join the network.

2. connecting the TC directly to the 2wire router/modem (WAN to WAN), and TC to PC. The PC airport utility recognizes it and I select create a new wireless network, bridge, but when the TC restarts it cannot join the network.

3. connecting the TC directly to the 2wire router/modem (WAN to LAN), and TC to PC. The PC airport utility recognizes it and I select create a new wireless network, bridge, but when the TC restarts it cannot join the network.

Physically how should i be connecting these devices - I realize there may be more than 1 way but so far nothing is working!

Help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Marina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Generally the TC cannot extend any other wireless network - other than an Apple network. I would hook it up as your NAS/Print Server/Wireless AP - and use the 2wire modem as just a NAT/WAN router. So turn off the wifi on the 2wire. It would look like this
2wire -> Ethernet to Ethernet -> TC
Time Capsule setup -> Internet Connection -> Connect using Ethernet
Connection Sharing off (bridge mode)
tcp/ip -> use dhcp

Airport -> Wireless -> Create a wireless network (fill this out accordingly)

OP
M
Reaction score
That sounds good. I had concluded the same this morning when i found out my modem/router doesn't support WPA or WPA2.

Just have to figure out how to switch off the router's wireless. 51m estimated hold time with Telus :(

When you say "ethernet" which ports am I using? Both the 2wire and the TC have a WAN port as well as 1-4 ethernet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have the version number of your 2wire? I may be able to help more if I know what I am looking at.

Generally - you setup your TC as a device that is slaved to your original router. So you would plug just lan port to lan port with the settings as I gave before. If you look at your airport utility then you should see that your TC got a local ip address. Your 2wire will serve as dhcp for both wired and wireless.

OP
M
Reaction score
telus 2wire 2700

Edited to update:
I had the wiring incorrect - i now have a green light! and got to the end of the wizard.
*But* I can see the Time capsule as a computer on the network but can't see the hard drive or the printer which is attached via usb.

So close....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you are done with the wizard, you ahold be able to see the summary stuff. What are the settings on the disk and printer pages?

OP
M
Reaction score
Got the printer working using Bonjour.

Cannot see the internal hard drive or one plugged into the usb port (although I can see both in the airport utility).

After reboot airport disk is detected. I have tried logging in as guest and with password, but neither work.
Error: Could not connect to the disk. Make sure Netbios is enabled and try again (53).
I have enabled netbios against TCP/IP 4 (as per another thread on this board).

I also get the error: Unknown user, incorrect password, or login is disabled. Please retype the login information or contact the disk's administrator (64).

Settings:
Disks (shows both the time capsule and the 465.8 GB seagate).

File sharing:
file sharing enabled
with device password
guest read and write
share over bonjour enabled

workgroup: workgroup
WINS Server: *blank*

While this is proving to be a headache, I'm resigned to the fact that this is a PC problem and that if I had a mac, it'd have been a breeze!
Very excited to get wireless printing though as I have a wide format printer (those don't come in wireless varieties).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The disk should show up with bonjour as well. How are you trying to connect?

Are you using windows or Mac?

Pretend your ip for your tc is 192.168.1.1

Windows - in explorer try \\192.168.1.1
Typed into the address bar.

Mac finder - go -> connect to server
AFP://192.168.1.1

OP
M
Reaction score
All PCs right now. I've tried entering the ip address and get an error:
Windows cannot connect to \\MARINATIMECAP
Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network.

Right now I can see the drives in the airport utility.
I can see MARINATIMECAP in Windows explorer (under network).
When I reboot, I get a message from Airport disk to connect (password, ignore, guest) but nothing works.

So I know that it is detecting it, it just won't let me connect.
How am I supposed to connect to the drives?

OP
M
Reaction score
No idea what just happened, except I powered the TC on and off. The computer again recognized the airport disk and prompted for the password, and this time it worked and is now a Z drive. Yay!!!

Still can't see the USBed hard drive but 2 out of 3 isn't bad :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.