Linksys N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro , 2.4ghz, 200gb HD, 4GB RAM; PowerBook G4 12".
Okay so I'm trying to set up my wireless network to use with my Macs and Xbox and other paraphernalia. The wireless router I have is a Linksys N that was purchased in 2008. I used the router for ATT dsl back then when me and my brother had an apartment, but my wife and i just bought a house so we started a new ATT dsl service. When I try to configure my router, it says that I have used this router before on an ATT account and I can't figure out how to change it. I went to the routers ip 192.168.1.1 and tried to change it there but it didn't seem to do anything. It's broadcasting a wireless signal, but somehow it's not receiving the signal from the modem even when it's plugged in using PPPoE on both devices so I can't go online with it. Should I just throw it out the window and get a new one =D? Any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So you have a Linksys Wireless N router? What is the model number?

Also how are you hooked up to AT&T DSL? Do you have one of their modems? If so which one? The Small Motorola or the large White AT&T one? The AT&T one has a router in it also.

OP
derekblock
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its a WRT160N. The modem is the 2210 i think. it's the motorola, modem only. not the 2wire with router built in

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are a couple of ways to get it to work with your Linksys. Turns out that Motorola has a single IP router. To me the easiest way it to put the Motorola 2210 in Bridged Mode. I had a 2210 and it died one day but I did it this way and it worked great with my Linksys WiFi router. This URL should help you set it up in Bridge mode. Once you do that your Motorola is only a DSL modem. You configure your PPPoE in the Linksys menu with your AT&T Logon and password for DSL. Be sure when you do this the Motorola is plugged into the WAN (Internet) port on the Linksys.

PS, to set up the 2210 for Bridged mode be sure your computer is plugged into the ethernet port on the 2210 and not the router then use the IP in the url to access the settings.

How do I set a Motorola 2210 to Bridged Ethernet mode AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ - dslreports.com

If you ever want to put it back to stock for any reason just hold the reset button in back down for 10 seconds.

I hope this helps. The other way is putting the linksys on a different address. I have done this to a few of the Motorola 2210's.

Another PS, that URL is for Bellsouth but still it's a 2210 and should get you there.

OP
derekblock
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so nothing has worked so far. Could the firmware of the router need updating since its a few years old now and the modem is new? When I called Att thy said they didn't support the router I had. I'm thinking he just meant that the firmware version I had wasnt supported. Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.