Java acting funny?

Reaction score
There's been a couple times that a grey or white box appeared in the top left of my screen, and it's always related to something Java related. For example, this happened when I was uploading something onto a university website and I think the client is Java based (I saw the little coffee on the side.) The difference is that this time, there is an "image" in the box! I have attached a screen shot.

The funny boxes disappear after awhile, but does anyone know what causes this and perhaps how to prevent it?

Thanks!

Question.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
That doesn't look like Java to me, just some kind of VPN or remote computing app. Is it resizable? When I use Java for remote computing at work, the box is resizable and always says 'Java' in it. You'll also know it's Java within 2 minutes of in launching, because it will crash. ;)

Have you installed the latest updates for OS X? Java was refreshed in the last week or so.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I recognize that icon. IIRC, that is an icon from BlackBoard. That icon is part of the upload applet - you can click it to upload files from your machine. Does your school use BlackBoard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.